1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i was a drummer since age 12, now i find bass to be just as and even more (possibly) enjoyable...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bon viesta, Jan 2, 2021.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    you think there’s some kind of less personal explanation for this? aka not something like “you do what you do and we can’t understand or interpret it”. what draws people to the rhythm section? are drummers more likely to cross into being bass players than other instruments? i’m wondering if being a drummer maybe even makes my bass playing better somehow. i’m hoping to get some multi-instrumentalist’s thoughts here, even if this is a stupid topic. i wonder how many of you there are :)

2. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    I think being a drummer may make you more in tune with the bass. The music I play the drums and bass are locked together...
    I think that all bass and guitar players would benefit from learning and playing the drums.

Mike N and bon viesta like this.
  3. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I wanted to play drums since I was a little kid, but my dad wouldn't let me. I finally decided to buy a drum kit and learn at 33 years old. I played drums for three years and then a friend convinced my to take up bass so I could be in his band.....I've been a bass player 12 years now.

bon viesta likes this.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I started on drums at 12 and switched to Bass at 28..... All the local bands had drummers but no one seemed to have a Bass player. I feel I'm a better Bass player having been a drummer first, since I can see from both sides how the drummer and Bass player work together.

I still have my drums from way back when (8 piece double kick Pearl set) and I've sat in on a few semi recent jams as a drummer. Nice to keep the chops up.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 10, 2021