Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was asking for amp advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Well I play in a rock situation against two loud guitarists. I'm also going to be playing a HIGHLY active bass (Musicman Bongo) and I was wondering which amp would stay with a good clean non distorted tone (unless I want to :D ) while being able to be heard in a Gym room type setting (NO PA)

Mesa M-pulse 600
    Ampeg SVT 4 PRO
    Ashdown ABM900
    OTHER (SPECIFY)

P.S. I PREFER T HAVE MATCHING CAPS AND HEADS BUT ITS JUST A PREFERENCE)

THANK YOU ALL

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  3. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    The first time I heard a Bongo (and liked it) was through an Ampeg B4 powering an SVT410HLF. It sounded heavenly. I'm sure it'd sound good through an SVT4Pro as well.

Otherwise, check out Gallien-Krueger. They have awesome gear in almost every price range.

...speaking of price range :ninja:. You'll probably get a LOT more response if people know one.

4. well i guess up to a little over 2K for amp/cab thanks

5. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    In that case...

Aguilar GS410 and AG500 (or maybe even a used DB359).

I can't say enough good things about the cab. It cuts through like nobody's business, and sounds off the hook.

As far as the head, I've heard lots of good things about the AG500. There are multiple threads about it, you'd definitely come up with something if you did a search.

Now, it might be hard to come by; but I'd recommend trying to find a used DB359. It's 200 tube watts. You can find great deals on them used. I picked up the one I used to have for under $1000! They don't sell many new anymore, pretty much NOS since they're now discontinued. Musicians Friend is still selling a few new ones ($3000)...

I'd just find a place where you can try some stuff out, or maybe even rent something for a gig or two. Find the best fit.

Trust me. If you buy something new without ever playing through one, you're taking a HUGE risk.

6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Mesa M-Pulse 600 + Mesa Powerhouse 4x10 to start.

Then when you get the cash the powerhouse 1x15 or 2x12 :)