I was blown away... 2x10 for outdoor gig, and it handled it!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kaputsport, Apr 29, 2012.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    So yesterday, I played a gig, that was an open restaurant. It was like an outdoor deck, but covered, yet open to the world. IT was part of the launch festival in Lancaster, and I knew that all the hustle and bustle would be too difficult to run a full rig. I also didn't want to bring a 4x10 or 1x15 cause we wanted to do this as light as possible.

Enter my Marshall DBS 2x10. I bought this cab off ebay for $120 a ew years back, because I knew I would never find another one (so far, not a single one has appeared). I never really thought it would be good for anything other than a practice amp at home, or maybe recording...

But I gotta say, it hung with everything really well, and was loud, deep and very punchy. One of the drivers is a little crispy, so I am going to look for some replacements but I gotta say, I am very happy with the purchase. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

For what its worth, I ran my Pedulla Rapture into my 7200 straight, no effects. Out of the 7200 at 4 ohms into the 4 ohm 2x10. If the woofers were all in great shape, I think I could have gone over 1/2 volume and still had plenty of headroom.

It was awesome.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's cool when that happens.;)

Your tone, your bands mix slotting, speaker placement and the acoustics of the place must've come together just right....well done.

3. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1....

I'm with a loud, 6 pcs., country/rock group.
    My gigging rig consists of two Avatar Neo 210 cabinets powered by a G.K. MB-500 head.
    When I use both of the cabinets I always stack them as a vertical 410, but recently I've been using just one cabinet for more and more jobs.
    I've been amazed how loud one of these cabs can get....not heavy metal loud of course....but enough to carry some of the places we're playing, and some of the larger rooms we're in with FOH.
    I'm lovin' just draggin' in one 40 lbs. 210 cab and a 3.8 lbs. head!!!!

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Wouldn't do Metallica with a 210, but it's not exactly like playing through computer speakers, is it? ;)

5. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Port Huron, Michigan
    Been using my Aguilar GS210 and Walter Woods onstage at a theatre gig. Using a REDDI for FOH. The score is classic R&B, wide dynamic range and does get quite loud from time to time. The GS210 is very impressive in this situation. Not a cab I'd want to move a lot though (heavy).

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

I'm glad it worked for you. I would not have even thought of attempting it. i always use a pair in a vertical stack.

7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Shoot I have played many outdoor gigs thru a 2x10 cab ..no problems. My band is semi- acoustic so they run me thru the PA. My rig is only a monitor then anyhow.

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Not saying it can't work but i'm very conservative in using my cabinets. I'd rather use a pair than risk just using one. In a vertical stack two use up the same stage area as one. Two also brings the top cab up closer to my ears so I can hear better. I do own four BTW.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Back when I used 2x10s I had four as well.
    Two were adequate and one never, for me. I liked the load in. Never had one of those super performing Edens but those were so big might as well have been a 4x10.:)

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Heh, heh, them 810 guys won't believe it. Glad it did well for ya, pal.

11. A couple years ago, I gave up the 4x10 and haven't looked back. My 2x10 is just fine for most of the bars around here, and when I play outside, I run through the PA. My back and bad knee are very grateful for this.

Now if I could just find someone who wants to buy my unloaded-yet-still-heavy 4x10 cabinet, I'd be really happy.

12. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Using the exact same rig and it is remarkable on many levels. So much so that I have stopped shopping.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I am similar, only I do it with a 115. If I need more I have another one. But just the one covers about 80% of my gigs.

14. Only reason I ran a 115 Cab paired with my Fender Pro400 210 combo was because I was playing in a heavy metal band that did stuff in B Standard, against two guitarists, drummer, and keys. That particular combo doesn't have the umph for the low B string.

In My current project I'm only using the combo against two guitarists and a drummer, all of our material is in Drop D. Haven't turned it up very much to compete with that crew and we pretty much go garage style :)

Peace,
    Greg

15. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Don't get me wrong... If I had my full stack, I would have been happier, but it was fine.

I used it again this weekend at a real outdoor gig, and it handled the show really well.

16. drea2304

drea2304

Feb 13, 2012
    Central IL
    I use a STRMLNR 900 and a pair of 210av. Sounds awsome.

17. sratas

sratas

Dec 15, 2007
    Parma, Italy
    GB Streamliner 900 into one or two Berg AE210 (older version). Outstanding match. In one occasion, I played an outdoor festival fighting against a 3500 watts PA (dedicated to voices, electronic drums) and full-blown 50 watts guitar amps. Barely touched the limiter of the head, the rig sounded great and everyone could hear me...at rehearsals sometimes I carry only one, I have to sacrifice a good amount of body and sweetness to the tone, but the volume is there.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021