I was bored today...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was bored, so I drove down to Guitar Center Nashua. I have never been there before. Now, I was going to buy some strings or something because I had a few hundred bucks more than expected. I enter the store, and it's horrid. Kind of small, and horrible selection until I look up at the bass section. Fretless Modulus Q5, Pedulla Thunderbass, and Lakland 55-94. I try the lakland and the pedulla. The lakland was amazing! So easy to play, great and versatile tone. I look to my left and I see an OLP Mm3 5 string stingray copy, used for 180. I look up on the wall and see the same bass but in much better condition for the same price. I say "I'm interested in this bass (the bad one), but 180 is too much. 130 and I'll take it." The man replies "how about 150, I don't think we can go to 130". I quickly reply "130, take it or leave it". He goes and checks to see what he can do. He says "Deal, man". So I take this baby home, I set it up, remove the rust (50$ off for a little pole peice rust) and enjoy my new OLP MM3 5 string :-D.

It's natural with a maple neck and fretboard. It's passive, and the pickup is two single coils. You have a volume for each one, and a master tone. The thing sounds great!

My alembic will arive next week, and after that I might save a little cash for a SD MM5 pickup, Aggie pre, and some other doodads :-D. Wee!
  2. And boredom pays off! Gotta love the haggle.... :D
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    "Do you want a commision today or not?" I love saying that, it usually gets results. Have fun with the new toy.
  4. Caution, a SMB5 aint gonna fit in the OLP. The OLP has the extended edges for each screw, whereas the SD pickup is just one solid rectangle with the screw holes inside the edge.
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Psst! New pickguard! I thought of that already :p.
  6. Guitar center in Nashua just recently got the lakland and those other delights in. I'm from Chelmsford, (a few towns over from you) and I frequent that guitar center. Their selection usually sucks. The typical two corvettes, a bunch of fenders, then like, 20 OLP's and squiers.

Yeah, the lakland was nice. I picked up one of the new Fender American Jazz basses there the other day though and :) . Holy crap, I can't decide between ordering a 'wick eventually, or building a warmoth that is like a combo warwick and jazz.
  7. Oh, and one more thing. I WANTED THAT OLP!!! You monster. I was hoping to get it for mah birthday. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
  8. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    They had two at that price, I got the crap one :p.
  9. Oh, I know they did. But you nailed it for fifty bucks off! Christ on a cracker!
  10. goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    how much was the lakland?
  11. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    1500, which isn't bad at all.