1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

i was falling down the stairs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KrispyJones, Mar 14, 2008.

1. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    with my bass on my back .....

this is what happend to him
    SP_A0737.
    SP_A0738.
    SP_A0734.
    SP_A0732.

allready "hitted" the highest fret wich came out back in the fingerboard and it does work cause i was falling sidwards so the "hole" is not exactly where i press down the E string (and the other ones are fine)

but my question is, what can or should i do with the finish???
    as you can see it cracked till the wood, completely through all paint layers.... im afraight it will become bigger and bigger....

any experiences ? recommends ?

(sorry for my english guys)

2. Beavinator

Beavinator

Dec 22, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    You just reliced your bass! Sweeeeeeet!!

3. Beavinator

Beavinator

Dec 22, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    ...but seriously...sorry to hear that! I'm not that into a pristine bass, so I'd probably leave it be. That is, if the neck hasn't been damaged in any way (has it bowed at all?)

4. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    You are lucky that is all that happened. If it still plays in tune you're ok IMO.

5. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    yes. cause i was falling at the spot where the neck is screwd into the body
    (and only on the e strings highest fret..... (but it got a huge channel now)

but yes, i was lucky cause i never use that fret and it would still work (after using the hammer to put the fret back in ;-)

cause im allergic against nickel i did use fender tapewound but the wrap came of on the e string. putted new ones on and it sound like new..... but what should i do with the finish.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I hope YOU are OK. You could have broken your neck.

Fixing dings like that is not very doable from what I have been told. Is one of the frets out of it's slot? You may be able to tap it back in with a sneaker it it is not bent.

7. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    im pretty ok, only my left elbow does hurt (a lot...) ... and my back and my neck.....

the fret does have a "dent" but not where the string goes over it. i hammered it in and now it does work again. it looks bad but does work

hm.... the finish is cracked till the pure wood..... im afraight cause im pretty broke right now :-(

8. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    It's got more character now than it did before! Unfortunately, these things happen. The pain will fade with time, be strong.

9. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    just let the finish flake, that'll introduce some really nice mojo.

10. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    as far as the fret, if the bass still works, don't worry about it. you'll probably have the bass refretted eventually anyways.

and as for the paint, most of us wouldn't worry about that either. a bass is a tool. use it. you don't baby your hammer, do you? wrap your screwdrivers in satin cloth? it's just wood and steel. don't worry about it.

11. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    ok ,thanks guys..... only one thing.... if i let it that way... is there anything i can do that its not mor coming off than now ?
    i mean that the finish is not crumbling more ?

12. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    i was told to use glue... maybe it works.... im going to try it

13. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    Go to a store that sells wood working supplies, they have a super glue designed for using with wood. I fixed a cracked neck on my son's acoustic guitar with this stuff, it is pretty amazing. Use the glue sparingly with a toothpick and put the glue under the finish where it is rising up. You can actually build up coats. You might want to ask some of the Luthiers here what they would do.

If you don't fix the finish, this bass is still a keeper. The stories you can tell about falling down the stairs. Take a picture of the stairs and the bass and send it to the manufacturer, who knows, if the story is good enough they may fix or replace the instrument in exchange for the PR.

14. Wow man! Good thing you're ok, let alone the bass. I must say though, your bass looks "seasoned" and you could probably sell it on ebay as "vintage" for a couple grand. :p

15. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    thanks ^^ but its my favoritue bass and i want to play my "final test" of my music education thing on it so i will keep it :)
    and i checked it at a luthier today they said the bass is fine (nothing broken or so)

16. bdanster92

bdanster92

Jan 14, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have at least 2 of those kinda wounds on my bass, and honestly, I like it more. For one, it tells a story, and it looks even more badassed. What I do whenver I get a chip in my finish is take some steel wool, and rough up the paint surrounding the wood. It makes it harder to chip further and smoothes out the flakes. It's up to you though.

17. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    thanks... i also did use the superfast glue stuff to keep it from breaking of more ...

18. LastVisblCanary

LastVisblCanary

Mar 11, 2008
    I know nothing about luthier work or finish repair, but were it mine, i'd probably paint the area with a few layers of clear enoxy, and then sand it down to smooth and flat, and bring it up to a super high polish. it would keep the area stable, but leave the damage visible.

but again, I don't even know if that would work..

19. I had something similar happen to my first bass (before I knew that the mojo fairy comes to your bass when you get your first chip in it).

If you really want to cover the ding, use nail polish. The main component in nail polish is in fact nitrocellulose, so it actually looks like guitar finish when applied. Granted, you won't find the exact white that is on your bass, but you can get close enough to where you would be the only one to notice.

20. KrispyJones

KrispyJones

Dec 3, 2006
    ok... so i leave it how it is and ask my girlfriend for some clear nail polish :)