1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i was going to sell my squier jag SS...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pcake, Oct 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i was going to sell two squiers and an ibanez SR500 to pay for my new mustang bass, so my husband said he'd polish / clean them up for me. he was working on the jag, and it sure looked good to me on his workbench. then he did a little adjusting, plugged it in and i thought "wow, that sounds really good". i played it a little, and it felt really good.

i realized i haven't played it for a while because i didn't like the string on it, but that's an easy fix. and now i find i really don't want to sell it - i want to slap some la bellas on it and play it. it's like G.A.S. for a bass i already own :D

2. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Better to find out now than when you are getting ready to ship it to it's new owner. :)
    And I see it did not prevent the Mustang purchase. Perfect! :roflmao::thumbsup:

3. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i guess i'm keeping it. i regretted selling the bronco after it was paid for but before the guy actually picked it up.

nothing could have prevented the mustang purchase!

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    I do this all the time, rotate basses around that I haven't played for a while whenever I get gassy. It cures the itch to spend more on s bass I don't really need.

I will still own a Stingray someday (it's been on my gas list for 20 years). And another T40 if the money and bass present themselves at the right time.

Besides that, I really am in no need for anything else.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i take that 'cure' regularly just by rotating them per JGbassman 's post.

a good adjustment/tweak and a set of strings can redistribute the G.A.S., IMO. after all: there were good/great reasons we found ourselves with a particular instrument in the first place!

6. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I had one for a while, nice bass, just didn't take to it. I sent it back to the store.

pcake likes this.
  7. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i should have put new strings on it months ago - i like d'addario nickels on some basses, but on this one they sound nasal. can't wait to put some other strings on it, as i bought it in store, and i liked how it sounded then enough to buy it.

hey, if we all liked the same basses, we'd all be playing the same basses, right?

8. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    My good friend has a music store, he let me try it for a while to see if I liked it. I was on the Ibanez train pretty hard then.

pcake likes this.
  9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    that's what i need - a friend who owns a music store!

10. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Yeah I was like a kid dragging home every stray dog I came across. He would give me sweet deals on everything.

Duder and pcake like this.
  11. I recently decided to get rid of a couple of basses that i haven't played in a while but I'm keeping my little Jag, partly because I'll not get enough for it and i refuse to all but give it away. Besides, its a fun bass to play and sounds decent so I'll keep it around as a backup.

Mr_O'B and pcake like this.
  12. Have you ever tried LaBella Low Tension Flats or D'addario Half Rounds on your Jag SS?

Both of those sound and play pretty good on that bass.

(I'm of the "old school" tone though....I don't slap or pick, fingers only.)

Mr_O'B likes this.
  13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i tried the la bellas on... er... some bass or other, tried the half rounds on a mikro.

i only play fingers, often like old school tone, but due to tendonitis, need very flexible strings. i want to put la bella nickels or fender nickels on it, but bassstringsonline doesn't have either back in stock yet. when they do, i'll grab some and try 'em.

Mr_O'B likes this.
  14. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Funny thing with my Jag.....

I've bought "better" more expensive basses since I got the Jag but whenever I'm learning something new, the first bass that I pick up is the Jag......

Love it.....:thumbsup:

lowdownthump, GoLeafsGo and pcake like this.
  15. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    At one point, I thought I had fallen out of love with one of my basses
    that I had not played in a while!

It turns out that the double pack of new strings that I bought had quality control issues.

Too many people get rid of good basses and have regrets!

pcake and lowdownthump like this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

So it sounds like you now own two basses you really like. Win-Win! :laugh:

Besides, a Mustang bass is just too cool a shortie to pass up. Play them both well! :thumbsup:

Mr_O'B, pcake and lowdownthump like this.
  17. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Millions and millions of dollars have been spent because people didn't try different strings.

Mr_O'B, pcake and fermata like this.
  18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love the SS jaguar project I just completed.

La bella flats dont really work on it; they come unraveled around the tuners.

Attached Files:

19. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    ???

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Enablers never help the addicted and afflicted, but are remembered at the holidays...

... really unsure where this stuff comes from, but it just does...

BurnOut likes this.