Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was gonna buy Elixirs, but I decided to try TI Powerbass...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Flatwound, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    ...and these are the best-sounding nickel roundwounds I've ever heard. If they last me a coupla months, then the game is over and these are it.

I was playing regular Slinkys, .050-.105, which I thought sounded great, but they died kinda fast - about three weeks and the E string was making a dull thud. The TI's which are .047-.107 are somewhat lower tension, but not noodles. I may take about an eighth of a turn out of the truss rod.

The sound? Huge. I can't imagine how nickels could be better than this. Kind of Slowound-ish, with massive mids. With the Slinkys, I was using some boost at 800 hz. for definition, but these sound just as good with flat EQ, and have more lows than the Slinkys.

The down side is that they cost almost as much as Elixirs (Dude sells the Powerbass 4-string for $29). So if they last a month, no dice. Two months, and I'm done string shopping, at least for nickel roundwounds.

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Good decision on the TI's. Elixers suck! I wouldn't even pay a 1/4 of what they cost.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    How does TI's compare to DR's?

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    To start with, they cost more. I got mine from the Dude for $29 for a four-string set, and that's a good price. They're probably the most expensive nickel roundwounds out there, except maybe Pyramids.

I haven't tried DR nickels, so I really can't make a comparison. However, I can tell you that the TI Powerbass strings are very full-sounding, with nice deep lows and good punch. I'm not really a slapper, but I think they have a nice slap tone.

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've had sets of Powerbass strings on different basses for upwards of 6 months with little problem with the strings sounding dead. And, I don't bother to wipe down after I play, either.
    The most even feeling, and sounding, nickelwound on the market, IMHO.

6. TI Powerbass are all I use on my basses. As far as the cost, sometimes you do pay for quality. At least you're buying 4 string sets, all my basses are 5'ers.

:)

7. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Ditto to what bassmonkee said. I've had Powerbass strings on basses for upwards of six months without any degradation of sound.

8. I have a set of TI Powerbass waiting to put onto my G&L L1500 when the factory SIT stainless strings die. So far, that hasn't happened, and I play the L1500 a lot these days.