Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was in a car wreck last weekend.......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkee1, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I am not hurt, but my 4 month old Genz Benz head was destroyed, as was my Spector Bass, and one of my speaker cabs. Actually both were damaged, butone is useable, so I can continue working.

I am lucky to be alive, and I think I am gonna hafta sue someone.

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Please elaborate, pics would be good as well.

Glad to hear you are okay!

3. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    I don't have any pics.

I was driving home from a gig. I got rear- ended by a box truck, carrying flowers. I drove a KIA Rio, 2003, and all my gear, except for my 15 speaker cab was in the trunk.

The trunk is now where the back seat was, and my 2x10 cab is still in the car. It was wedged,

The neck of my bass was snapped in 3 places.

The head doesn't have any visible damage, but it don't work, and all the LED's are shattered.

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Total bummer man, but it is good you are Okay. Hopefully the truck carried good enough insurance to get your car, and gear all taken care of.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, first off, let me say that i'm glad that nothing more serious than serious instrument troubles were the fallout from this accident.

secondly, i'd like to say that, regardless of the situation, that quote up there --^ kicks butt. :)

6. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Yeah. This is the second accident I have survived in two years. I am thinking of changigng my screen name to "Luckee1".

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    That's too bad! Insurance won't cover your equipment!

Did you take some flowers from the truck and give your gear a proper funeral?

Next time get a bigger car! ;)

8. This totally sucks! Glad your ok, but having your equipment destroyed is a major bummer. But I have a sollution for next time. If you drive faster, you won't get rear-ended!

So what have we learned today kids?

ALWAYS DRIVE FAST!!

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The trucks insurance will definitely cover your gear if the truck (driver) was at fault.

I had the same thing happen to me and my URB was damaged. The insurance company not only paid for the bass, they sold me the salvage on the bass. I repaired the bass and still am using it.

Glad you weren't hurt.

10. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Oh no - that's terrible! Glad you are OK - at the end of the day that is the most important thing, everything else can be replaced.

Still sorry to hear about your gear and your new car - you were very chuffed with that!

A couple of years ago, I was in a crash in which I got rear ended by a stolen/untraceable car. Was just after a recording session, and I too had a Spector bass in the boot (trunk!).

Luckily, although my car was writtne off, and the Hiscox bass case was stuck and crushed pretty well in the boot, we managed to get the bass out in one piece - like me a bit battered and bruised. But my local tech sorted her out beautifully.

I do hope that you get this all sorted out - ann get your gear and car replaced!

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    First, be sure that you are completly healthy. Rear end accidents cause whiplash and sometimes the symptoms don't show up immediately. Especially when the trunk has been shoved into the back seat. Do not sign anything until you are completely recovered physically and going to be compensated in full for the loss of your equipment. Contact the Flower shop's insurance company and request compensation for your equipment. If they give you any grief, mention that you are trying to give them a chance to make things right. If not, your next call will be to an attorney. In the case of rear end accidents the insurance company is going to be real eager to settle this quickly! Good luck. PM me if need more info.