Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was just accepted at the University of Chicago

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The place where I've longed to be for a year has invited me to spend the next four there. It was a longshot school for me, and I am most happy that I got in.

There are a few here that I would like to thank for their intellectual hand-holding. You know who you are.

The proudest moment of my life was getting that letter today. Just thought I'd share it.

2. Congratulations!!! I'm a college student myself at JMU, and a year ago I went through the same process; doesn't it feel sooooo good?

3. As somebody bitter because they didn't get in... let me just share that people say UofC is "Where fun goes to die". In all seriousness though, nice job man! I've heard the music scene is nothing short of stellar if you've got your playing up to par. Be prepared to work your butt off!

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I've also heard: "UC - the Circle of Hell Dante forgot."

I'm sure I will have to work my ass off, but I can accept that.

Thanks, guys.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Congrats Eric. I should get my letter tomorrow [friday] from Roosevelt University. If I get in [ok-even if i don't-for the rest of you guys], it'd be cool for later in the year to have a Chicago College/Chicagoland GTG like what is stickied at the top. That's all

6. But I forgot to mention... I'm waiting to see if I'm getting to go to Cornell next year! Nothin' like a hometown school with two jumpin' bridges.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent.

-Mike

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  9. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    EEEEyikes. Good luck with that. I have a close friend who somehow managed to pull down a full ride there ($130,000 over four years!!!!! :eek: ), and would routinely tell me about the crazy crap that would happen there / how hard his classes.

Ever tried to prove that the number 2 is greater than the number 1 (through mathematical proof)? That was an entire week's lecture apparently...

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    If you want some interesting info on the University of Chicago, check out www.tuckermax.com. Tucker Max is genius.

11. Grats dude!

I'm actually just starting my college search, and was part of the test rat group for the new SAT, and holy hell that is one long test(started at 8AM, ended at 12:45, not fun). I think I'll try for early admission somewhere to get it over with early :crying:

12. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats! Univ. of Chicago is an excellent school, but the comment about "where fun goes to die" is pretty on-point. :smug: Nevertheless, it should be a great experience. ;)

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Congrats Eric

As others have said, U of C is a great school but very competitive. Be prepared to work your butt off, but the future afterwards should be well worth it. The school has a great reputation.

The neighborhood has been getting better, but don't stray too far off campus (especially westward).

Good luck

14. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Congratulations man. :)

I'm finishing up college right now. I graduate in May, hopefully. haha It's been a decent 5 years. Not all I hoped it would be, but memorable nonetheless.

Good luck at school, and I hope it's everything you want it to be.

Jake

15. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    at UF that class is called "numbers and polynomials." you get to prove all sorts of things you already know! :D but it's recommended to take before linear algebra.

anyway, awesome. i'm jealous, even though i didn't apply to u of chicago. that's a top-tier school, right there.

16. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    any thoughts on a major? chicago has one of the best continental philosophy faculties in the states....

17. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Philosophy for sure, and probably something else also. Twentieth century existentialism has bitten me, and I'd like to actually be able to understand Heidegger by the time I graduate.

18. All I know about that school is that Tucker Max went there, and he is a very very funny man.

19. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    For your sake, i hope so. Took me a few years as a grad to "get" old martin.

glad to see another philo maj out there; world needs a few more, imo.

ever read husserl?