1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I was just fired from the band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Busker, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Well, I kinda knew deep down that it wasn't working out, but I thought I'd be quitting eventually, not get fired. This is the first time I've been fired from a band.

As time went on, it was obvious that the band leader and I were not going to be close friends. I asked him why I was being let go, he said I just wasn't fitting in. I played well he said, it just wasn't working out. I wish I could say I took it well, but I didn't remain calm. I said a few things I shouldn't have, so did he.

OTOH, a guy I know wants me to join his band now that I'm free. I told him I needed time to think, but I would call him in a day or two with an answer.

2. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    No problem.... you're Busker, just get out there and Busk!

Band????....I don't need no stinking' band!!!

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Maybe something could have been addressed earlier, in a professional sort of way?

Lots of bands have members who are friendly but not friends and they sometimes find a way to work together.

Something to think about for future reference so history won't repeat itself.

Good luck with your new venture...whatever it is!

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Perhaps, but he didn't come forward to talk to me about it, nor did I talk to him about it. He used me to help pay for a spare tire for his trailer (took $25 of my pay at one gig, which I said OK to), and told me I had to play this one show for free so he could record the show and pay the engineer, which i said OK to, then a week later fired me.

Oh well, it saved me from having to quit. I wasn't all that happy in the band anyway. The musicianship wasn't as good as I was used to. I went from the best singer and band I had ever worked with (only they would not book gigs - four gigs in eight months!) to one of the worst bands I've ever been in, but they had plenty of gigs. Go figure.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    What`s the deal with the show being recorded? Were you guys planning on making a live cd or dvd? If so, I`d be sure that your rights are kept and you get your slice of any profits that are made.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sounds like he doesn't have to worry about the profits ;)

7. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    We had a big show coming up and he said he wanted a CD for that show, to hand out for free. I don't give a hoot. The recordings sucked big time. Mostly because of his vocals.

8. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Screw them. You probably should have quit a while ago anyway. Egomaniac singers.

Join a band with people you like playing with.

9. Bands are like women.

10. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Don't sweat it. Bands are like relationships -- they don't always work out. It's not necessarily a mark against you. I've quit bands, I've been fired too. It happens. You pick yourself up and move on. there's always opportunities for competent bassists.

Good luck.

11. chakah

chakah Rockin' the 80's

Feb 2, 2006
    Houston,
    +1 - just like havin' a girlfriend.

12. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words. That goes for everybody.

I don't think I'm going to take that gig offered to me (mentioned in the first post). The guy who offered it is a friend, but all of their gigs are pretty far away from me (60 to 100 miles or so). They play no gigs in my neck of the woods at present. I don't mind traveling long distance to some gigs, but don't think I want to travel that far to all.

13. Sounds like you are better off without.

Though I wouldn't have been letting him get away with my money that way. He needs a spare tire? He can buy it. He wants to record something? He can pay for it. Paying gigs - get money directly afterwards of an agreed amount, don't let someone screw about and choose what they want to do with your cash (IMO).

14. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Oh I agree, and that's what I normally do. At the time however, I was trying to be helpful, agreeable, non-confrontational. After all, he had just spent a lot of money buying tee shirts and whatnot, and a nice trailer to haul band equipment. I assume he also asked the others for spare tire money and told them they had to play a free show so he could pay the engineer.

Screw it. Its over. I was already going over in my mind when & how I would give him notice I was quitting. He saved me the trouble of dealing with that.:p

15. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    Sorry it didn't work out. Others have said it, but it all comes down to fit. Like all relationships, we alter our attitudes/behaviors based on how much it means to us. The thing I would suggest is, mull over why you allowed this to get to the point to where you lost your cool at the end.

Could you have fixed it earlier with a conversation, or exited earlier? We all have reputations in the musical community where we live. How we enter and exit bands has much to do with that, along with being prepared for rehearsals/gigs, timeliness/dependability and being a team player. By your assisting with his tire and giving up $ to pay for the live recording, sounds like you have the team player thing down.

You have been around, so you know it will happen again. How do we exit band situations without burning relationships and getting ourselves worked up? Seems like a good thing to sort out. Good luck with finding your next project. No doubt something will pop up soon.

16. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Bands are like five women, in the worst possible way.

Really, I hate most musicians and all their passive-aggressive, won't-talk-about-it, sneaky crap.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    +1,000,000

That`s mostly why I always come off as the worlds biggest d**k. I don`t p***y-foot around issues and will get in peoples faces if they mess around too much - So what, I`m a bassist :D

18. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Yup - don't give it another thought. Just get back playing somewhere else. Life's too short to give them the power to affect your mood, attitude, and life.

19. The best bands are a mix of the right folks - not talent

Bites to move.. it's more fun to be in a great act.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Beyond a certain basic point, "talent" is irrelevant to making a good pop act, except for creating prima donnas, overplaying and specious "artistic" (read ego) clashes; as a player, you're either adequate for the job or you aren't.

Face it, this isn't classical.

A good band's about meeting your responsibilities and the relationship between the members. Many extremely influential acts were made from essentially non-musicians who had a commitment to each other and a shared artistic vision -- that they grew into as a group.