Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was listening to Marvin Gaye today and...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Oct 3, 2002.

1. ...realized that "Let's Get It On" is probably the greatest love song ever. And the bass line is incredible. Man-it just kicks ass. If you can't feel that song,something is wrong. I have to be careful listening to it in the car because I want to close my eyes and bob my head and sing "I've been really tryin' Baby/Tryin' to hold back this feelin' for soooo long..." It's an almost involuntary response. "Givin' yourself to me could never be wrong/if the love is true"
    I am really starting to get into 60's Rn'B,Soul,and Funk music. The songs have so much passion and feel, and bass is almost the center of the music. But-it's not overbearing. It's the definition of how bass is supposed to groove.
    We should all do ourselves a favor and listen to James Brown,Marvin Gaye,Larry Graham,The Temptations,etc. once in a while to keep our perspective.

2. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I have been getting into a lot of Motown, Slave, Parliament, and George Duke

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Very interesting.

It's posted in the "Basses" forum because...?

4. Well,I guess that's where I was when i was thinking about it. I hope it's not a major inconvenience to anyone. :rolleyes:

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I hope you don't use that logic for other bodily functions.

Just the moderators, who are the ones who keep the forums tidy, but they don't matter, do they?

6. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
  7. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I love the whole Gaye family. Who wants to join me for a round of posts on the hug thread?

8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Once in a while!?!?!?

I listen to that stuff more than anything else!

9. Well-I was thinking of those who really don't like music that grooves,has soul,and makes you feel something REAL.

10. ? Even his father?

11. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Perfect.;)

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Scary stuff.

13. Just about the only styles of music I listen to are Urban/Afro-American styles of music (ALL of them). When I tell people that, they just stare at me like I'm from another planet, yet everyone compliments me on the feeling in my playing.

There's a reason!!!

I just don't get the same emotion from Limp Bizkit or Alice In Chains. To me, that's like listening to a Chainsaw convention.

(Don't hailstorm on me! Art is subjective. It's just my opinion.)

14. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't dig on Marvin Gaye. I like other older r+b and funk stuff, but I can't seem to enjoy him.

As far as the song in question, TV ads have killed the meaning and imagery of it.

15. wannabee

wannabee

May 19, 2002
    USA
    RS....

If you dont dig Marvin.....well thats your opinion.
    Marvin was a poet, a story teller, He could see into
    the future. If you listen, you can feel what he felt.
    He was ahead of his time, a genius.
    For you to say "TV ads have killed the meaning and imagery of it" in refererence to marvin or his music,
    me thinks you watch too much t.v.

Peace

16. along this line of music dont forget gil scott heron!! you want poetry, he's RIGHT ON (the money that is) check out 'whitey on the moon'. itsd as true today as then...maybe more. but today 'whitey' comes in all colours. bvut be warned, there's no bass on that track. if you want to hear some funk that is 'out there' check out miles davis' "on the corner', bitches brew, tribute to jack johnson. and herbie hancock 'headhunters albums---phaaaaat!

17. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I play in a R&B/Motown group. I've been playing with the same musicians for 5 years now. Imagine that no personel changes for 5 years in a band. I'm the only white guy in the band. I've learned more about music and life from these guys than in my previous 20 years of playing. They have taught me how to play with feeling about the song that I'm playing. Every song we play is meant to create a certain emotion within our audience. When I'm on stage watching prople dance to our music in these troubled times, it appears as though they don't have a care in the world except for the person they are dancing with on the slow tunes or they really get loose dancing on the faster tunes. I learned to play music to get chicks. Who didn't but playing to people who LOVE your music has got to be the greatest reward for me. Oh yea and these guys turned me on to Brothers Johnson and James Jamerson too. Peace be with you all and ask yourself next gig you have. "Am I enjoying this"

18. Great post Man...
    I grew up on rock music-and while I still like that music-it lacks the emotion and gut feelings that soul and Rn'B has. "Black music" in general has more of an an emotional element than rock,country,etc,in my opinion. If you look historically at African-American music,I think you'll agree. I mean old blues,black gospel,it's all very spiritual, emotional music. I've developed a real love of this type of music. I've even started randomly downloading black gospel music. There are some great unsung gospel players.

BTW-props to you for being the only white guy in your band. I wish I could find some guys would be into playing that kind of music. Around here it seems like it's metal or country bands. I'm in an acoustic band. I love these guys, but I would like to get another project going too.

Peace...