1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Was Made to Love Her (live) - Jamerson on bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sizzler33, Nov 26, 2018.

1. sizzler33

sizzler33

Dec 17, 2017
    I stumbled upon this gem from 1967 on youtube:

The bass player is killing it! Lots of variations in the lines and the bass is up pretty high in the mix on my headphones. It doesn't sound like the album version is being used as a backing track. For one thing, the intro is played twice. So the question is, could this have been Jamerson playing live? I know he performed live with some of the Motown acts. Would a live band have even been used in a situation like this? Or is it a prerecorded backing track that Jamerson might have played on?

2. I doubt it’s jamerson. Most likely the house band

3. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    Mort Lindsey who worked with many greats was the musical conductor for the Merv Griffin show and had a top notch orchestra. I agree it's a good bet that the house band covered the music here. I don't know how you would find the name of their bassist in 1967.

Wow...but 17 years old. I forgot how young Stevie was when he was doing this.

Fender1980 likes this.
  4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I recall watching Ray Brown every afternoon/after school on the Merv Griffin Show...this woulda been in the mid-'70s, though.

Edit: Ray Brown played URB & a sunburst P-bass on the Merv Griffin Show.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Fender1980 likes this.
  5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    That sounds nothing like Jamerson. I think house band, too.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My understanding is that after the first couple of Motown reviews, JJ didn't go out on the road, because he was too valuable in the studio, and they couldn't hold off on recording for him to tour any more.

7. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Yeah, don't sound like Jamerson. Probably the house band musicians.

GOOD LORD! Ray Brown on TV every day? I gotta check Youtube.
    Since this was Merv, maybe it was Ray Brown.
    These talk shows had serious band leaders and players in their combos.
    I did thoroughly enjoy Mike Douglas' band accompanying Frank Zappa here...

Fender1980 likes this.
  8. sizzler33

sizzler33

Dec 17, 2017
    After another listen I agree. Not Jamerson. But props to the house band bassist whoever he was!

LBS-bass likes this.
  9. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    I agree, whoever played this did a great job. It's not an easy line to do and even though it wasn't played note for note, he definitely got the feel.

10. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Hank Crosby, Who Co-Wrote the song said it was James Jamerson and the Motown house band ( The Funk Brothers! )