Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was robbed and hurt!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tida, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Me and my family were just robbed. They took our safe, our jewelry, our car, but worst of all, they hurt my sister. She was home alone. Two men with guns hog tied and pistol whipped her. If it wasn't for my timing, they would have raped her.

Police suspect that it was someone we knew. Whoever did this planned it out, but rather than my sister being home, expected my father to be home. I couldn't imagine what they would have done to my father if he was in town.

My family and I have lived in this home since 1993. We always thought it was a safe neighborhood. I have never ever experienced something like this before.

I feel so shattered inside. Where can you feel safe if it's not at home?

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Lame....was this in Atlanta or San Diego?

-Mike

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That's terrible. :( My house was robbed a few years ago (twice in one week :mad: ), so I know how it feels to not be safe in your own home.

My prayers go out to you and your family. I hope your sister is okay, and that you find out who did it.

4. It happened in Atlanta

5. easy on the SD man... not everybody here is a psycho....

dude that's totally wrong, call police, make reports, do every thing you can... beleive it or not, police can help in the time of need. i was a punk kid and hated them and thought they were the enemy but i was wrong.. my mom was attacked in her shop and they were able to catch the mofo and send him to jail. good luck, be safe.. :(

6. Bassists and their timing...

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Tida,

That's terrible! I'm truly sorry to hear that. It feels so crappy to be a victim of crime but thank God your sister wasn't raped. Did you walk in on it or what? How did your timing affect it?

brad cook

8. I'm so sorry, this is terrible. :( Some people have serious problems. I'm glad everyone is safe for now. I don't know why anyone would want to do this. It sounds clearly like something personal, and not your ordinary robbery. This kind of thing is very very scary. :(

Now, another concern: these guys sound like they have a personal problem with your father. Are they still going to be a threat to you? That's what would scare me, and would be my biggest concern. You need to be in contact withe police, and try to work with them to ensure your safety and that of your family. (PS: I'm not a big fan of police in general, or many laws they enforce, and the way they often conduct themselves, but relatively speaking in this case, [I've experienced and heard horror stories] they're the good guys and you need them.)

Now, this brings up another point. Have you considered a personal defense weapon? In this case, I'd skip the handgun, and go right to semi-auto rifle/carbine, and learn how to use it. In the right situation, and if you use common-sense, it could be a very goo didea.

9. No, I didn't walk in on them. Thank goodness. I was trying to call over and over again. I knew something was wrong b/c she wasn't answering the phone. Then, I guess the phone was knocked off the hook and I could hear muffled voices and crying then the phone hung up. So I phoned the police.

She said that the would-be rapist's accomplice picked up the phone and realized that I was on the other line. That's when they stopped what they were doing, grabbed the safe and left.

I had pulled into the driveway minutes after I saw one of our cars already off in the distance.

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm so sorry! :( What an invasion. I hope you and your family are able to feel safe again soon, but it will take some time. I think I know the feeling.

marshall

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Atlanta cops are good guys... They'll get these pricks... maybe even get them with a .45

I'm glad your sister is relatively good shape.

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Wow, that's worse than awful! I hope that your family and esp. your sister can get over this. :scowl:

Armed robbery is one thing. Attempted rape (I think it's actually worse than murder in some cases) and possible attempted first degree murder are both much much worse. What makes you think that they planned this for when your father was home?

If the intruders weren't afraid that someone would be home and were actually hoping that your dad might have been there speaks to the tune of something more than armed robbery.

I'd get out of there and find somewhere else for awhile.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I sort of know how you feel, except it was my younger brother who was home and they didn't hurt him. I'm very happy they didn't get to assault your sister in the way they had planned, and very sorry that your family had to go through that.

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    This is the kinda stuff that puts me on a mission...

Sorry this happened to you and your family..

Did the Police have crime scene dust the house?

15. They didn't dust, they took a lot of pictures. The only evidence aside from my sister's bound marks were footprints at the point of entry.

The car they took was a 2005 RX8 very new. I assume the car was just a bonus b/c you can't really do much with a stolen new car aside from joy riding.

My sister is okay, just traumatized. It will take some time.
    The Atlanta police were very nice and patient. Hopefully, the detectives can find the criminals. I'll be worried when my father comes back home.

16. That's terrible, but at least your people are safe.

I doubt I would feel comfortable staying in that place. I would either get lots of guns or a temporary safe-house.

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If there is some sort of imminent threat against your father or you, they can probably do something to protect you. 24-hour surveillance of your house, etc.

18. I could be wrong, but it seems like this was more of a personal attack than a 'usual' robbery. I mean, why would they go to the extra effort to steal your car when, like you said, it could only be used for joy riding?

I feel really sorry for you (and enraged at whoever did it), and I hope the police can help.

19. For my personal safety I think I will be looking into a small taser (sp?). I'm more worried, if I get mace, and I need to use it, I would get wind caught and get it into my own eyes. I'm not sure if it would be neccessary to get a permit to have and purchase a small semi automatic weapon.

If I did take that step, I would definitely learn more about the responsibility and use of one.

20. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    That's Awful! I feel sorry for you and your family!.....I was robbed a year ago so I can recognize the feeling, luckily no people were hurt in my case....Hopefully the police will sort this out soon!