Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was supposed to see Victor Wooten tonight....

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BrettAM, Jan 31, 2004.

1. But thanks to this idiotic Colorado weather I can't! It's snowing so hard that my ride bailed on me and I'm now stuck at home imagining if he's going to play Zenergy or not! If I don't put my head through the wall at some point tonight it will be a miracle!

2. when i saw him in Dc a few weeks back he didnt play Zenergy. Isnt that song with Carter Bueford?

3. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Sorry you couldn't make it. It was an amazing show. Perhaps the best I've ever seen. I"m not trying to rub it in. ;) Make sure you don't miss the next. I'd tell you if he played Zenergy or not, but I know very few titles of songs.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I feel your pain, BrettAM. About a month ago I purchased tickets to see Richard Bona play with the Mike Stern Quartet. The show is this Tuesday night. The most recent weather forecast, however, calls for snow north of Boston that night into Wednesday. The company I work for has a contract to plow streets in a city north of Boston, so I have to be ready to go if it does snow. :(

5. YES! By the grace of god I was able to get ahold of my cadillac (my mum was supposedly going to need it but changed her mind) and I managed to make it down there-all I can say is that those guys that were supposed to come with me missed the best concert I HAVE EVER BEEN TO. They didn't play Zenergy but Vic did play Norwegian Wood-by far the high point of the night. The Yinin' and Yangin' sequence was amazing as well-they opened it with this really intriguing cello/bass duet.

6. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Excellent, glad you made it.

That is a great show.

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

On my way out the door right now for the Portland show. News at 11:00...

edit: Heh, more like 1:30. The show ran about 3 1/2 hours. Lots of Old School funk and rock, with this medley at one point: Jungle Boogie/Dance To The Music/Sex Machine/Star Spangled Banner (solo guitar)/Iron Man.

The whole performance bordered on overwhelming, but I enjoyed it a great deal. I was interested to see Wooten playing four string for the great majority off the show. This is the first time I've seen him live. Thumbs way up!

8. I'm going to see Vic this saturday in Phoenix. I'm really excited, this will be my first time seeing him live. What should I expect? It sounds like I will be amazed from what everyone is saying.

9. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Hey, I have heard the name Victor Wooten, but have no idea who he is. I would imagine he is good, but why would you go to see someone just stand there and play? I listen to and play hardcore music. He will be in Phoenix so, I am considering going. What can I expect? I am up for seeing a legend, but dont want to be bored to death. Thanks Joe

10. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I feel your pain.. I was supposed to see the Jaco Pastorius Big Band when they were in NY back in January... bassists were Jeff Caswell, Gerald Veasley, David Pastorius, and Victor Wooten.. got called on for a favour the night I was supposed to go.. the kind of favour that I could not in good conscious turn down. :(

Saw Victor w/the Flecktones back last October though, was a concert I won't soon forget! Pamelia Kurstin was playing theremin with them last night, and the start of the last set was just Pamelia and Vic playing together... I about had an out of body experience, it was magnificent!

11. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I've seen Wooten play with Bela twice here in the valley - once at a scottsdale festival and once in hayden square in tempe. Each time, I left both stunned and inspired. Vic Wooten is technically brilliant and soulfully complete... if you've ever touched a bass, he'll keep you interested the whole night. If I'd known about the show before reading this thread today, I'd be there, but alas, I have other commitments already.

12. Passinwind

Hey Joe, Victor does a whole lot more than just stand there. You can expect to see two bassists both playing faster and in way more control than any hardcore show I've ever seen. For a lot longer, too. If you're looking to mosh, forget it though. Do you dig jazz and funk at all? That's pretty much what the show last night was about. Nobody was sitting down too much during the show, it was grooving really hard.

13. kingbrutis

kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    I can apreciate great talent. I dig some of the old P Funk and Parlement. I'm just sayin, there are a couple of good bands playing that night, why should I pay my money to see him? Does his band have a singer, or is it just a great bassist playing? I know this isn't the same, but I saw Steve Miller once. It seemed like EVERY song just drug on and on and on. I was bored out of my mind. Is it like a 10 minute grove per song? Just asking. Thanks Joe

14. Passinwind

There are six good singers in the current band, everybody takes a turn. Some, but definitely not all, of the grooves are longer than ten minutes, but there's a lot besides bass playing going on. As I mentioned, they did a fair bit of Old School funk and rock (EW&F, Ohio Players, plus what I posted above), the guitar player (Vic's brother) is totally sick, and the overall energy level is way high. The best reason I can think of to see this band is because it has three brothers in it who've been playing together for thirty years, and it's not the hippie Jambase vibe the way the Flecktones can be. I'm guessing you wouldn't dig that nearly as much. If you're down with P-Funk, you'll definitely like this show. I was as sceptical as you, even though I'd heard many cool recordings with Wooten.

To be honest, Vic's last solo of the night went on a bit too long for my taste, and at that point there was little chance that he'd top what he'd already done. But he still got two encores, so obviously many people didn't agree.

15. I drove down from interior British Columbia to Spokane, WA Thursday Feb. 5 to see VW (about six hour drive on some damn "exciting" roads). The show was great! A lot like Live In America but more intense. The new Big Easy in Spokane is a very nice club. Every member of the band did a "showcase" and "The Teacher" was in fine form. It was MC Divinity's Birthday and the boyz had a couple of surprises for her. The show was almost 3 1/2 hours long. They started hot and just got funkier and funkier. Victor did a couple of illusion things that were fun. Did I mention the show was great!

I met Anthony Wellington who seems a very nice individual. Both MC Divinity and Victor where available after the show and more than willing to chat for a moment.

The next night they were playing in Seattle and I almost drove home that way but responsibilities dictated otherwise. Not an easy choice!

If you haven't seen VW yet. I highly recommend you do.

16. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    what you really missed was victors brother reggie...nuff said