Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was thinking about a new bridge.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thursday, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
  2. I'm personally siding with the Hipshot, but have you gave thought to a BA II?

3. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    No. Heard of them but never took the time to check them out.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  5. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I put a Schaller roller bridge on a Jazz I had. It improved the tone, but I found the rollers to be a real pain. They tended to move around when I changed strings.

The Gotoh 201 is probably the best choice if you want to retain a kind of stock look, the BAII is legendary, and Hipshot makes good stuff.

I'd recommend you pass on the Schaller though.

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    <3 hipshot

7. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    I would go for the Hipshot and consider getting the bass drilled for through body stringing option as well (assuming it's not vintage).

8. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York
    Nope, 92 MIM Fender P.

9. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I'm going to have to recommend the Badass II to you. They're the classic replacement, drop right in, are heavy solid and therefore give you great sustain and tone. You won't have to drill extra holes, fight with it, etc. Check here http://www.allparts.com/categories.php?cat_id=439&cat_name=4-STRING & SINGLE STRING and look for model # BB_0335-010. Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller and many others swear by them on all of their Fenders!

10. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York

Thats the problem won't I need to take it to a pro to have it filed?

11. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    You can do it, but I've put one on one of my old basses and also a buddy has done his and neither of us filed at all. Neither of us had any problems. Now, filing couldn't hurt, but I don't think it's a necessary step at all.

12. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I <3 Hipshot also

13. Theres been pleanty of debates over this. I had a BA II, non filed down, worked perfectly for me. Don't worry about it. Unless you're slamming on your bass Flea style, you shouldn't have trouble with it.

14. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    ive always had issues with wearing down BAIIs to the point were they would break strings all the time, and have to refile every string change.

switched to hipshot, never had a problem yet, and its been on this bass for 4 years.