Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was watching a Leno rerun last night...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Jan 4, 2006.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ...and they had the John Mayer Trio on. So of course I watched so I could see Pino.

He was using an Ashdown ABM 900 head and some sort of Epifani cabinets. Sounded great. Here's the thing though he had 2 of his fiesta red fender p-bassess. I thought he only owned one. Could the other have been his 'signature' as a back up? Just curious, thanks.

2. I thought nothing strange of it - on some of the John Mayer Trio live sets they had on AOL Music, I'm pretty sure you see a backup of the same Precision he uses.

Did you notice the Leno bassist using a lefty Bongo by chance?

3. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    I saw that as well. And I was interested, not only to check out Pino (who was very solid, as most of us would expect), but also to check out Mayer, who I wasn't that familiar with (I did listen to one of his albums at a friend's house but I cannot remember the title), but had read that he compares with Jimi and SRV.

Well, I thought his performance was very good, everyone played well in the band, and the song was pretty cool. But PULEEEEEEEZE, to put this guy on the Jimi/SRV level is absurd. There are a lot of guys as good or better than him today, and nobody is comparing them with the greats. I think the fact that he is young and attractive (I guess, I'm hetero, so I really don't know, but the chicks seem to dig him), has a good voice and is a good guitarist works synergistically to garner a little more hype about this guy than is deserved.

Am I missing some amazing album by him that rivals "Are You Experienced?" or "Texas Flood"? If I am mistaken, sorry.....someone set me straight!

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I really wasn't paying mush attention to Leno's bass player. So I can't help there.

The only reason I wondered why he had two of those fiesta red basses was because I thought in the bass player artical he said he only had one. Ah well.

I don't know that I would go comaring John Mayer to Jimi or SRV YET. He is good, but it really all depends on where and how he is in many years, IMO. But his and the bands performance last night was bad ass. So complaints.

5. John Mayer writes songs for teenage old girls most of the time.

Hendrix and SRV wrote music for the masses (and were millions of times better.)

Whoever made that comparison is absurd.

6. Try listening to the John Mayer Trio before making such a statement, Ryst.

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Yeah, I'd agree with marcusalan, listen to the JMT before dropping the teenage girl comment, it's pretty different than his over-produced major albums. However, if you can get your hands on <i>Inside wants out</i>, his acoustic demo, pick it up. It's the same songs on his first album for the most part, but they have a whole other feeling.

Also, it's unfair to compare anyone to jimmy hendrix (except maybe jaco in his own respect) because they started it. I think it would be much more appropriate to say taht JM was heavily influenced by SRV and JH, and that it is prevalent in his music.

I can tell this is going to be one of those really annoying threads that go on forever and no one listens to reason... i can just feel it... Not to say i'm some sort of fount of reason.

8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I like the "overproduced teenage girl" albums too. :rolleyes:

9. John is alot better than people are willing to give him credit for. His influences come out in his music but that's the way it is for everyone. Some people need to get past the fact that he did mainstream music for awhile and now he's going in a different direction. For those of you that think he's still a teeny-bopper, read his interview on MSN. He addresses that whole issue. He's a different player now and I love the first JMT album. I'm looking forward to many more.

I would think that fans of good music would be happy that someone who lists SRV and Jimi as an influence is in the mainstream and trying to further the blues. Not some overproduced techno bop crap.

Can't please some people I guess.

10. I'm glad to hear good things about JMT - I've been considering picking up their album. I've always been sort of "meh" towards John Mayer - like some stuff, most I didn't care about. I still think the guy's got talent.

11. Are his basses short sclae or something. I couldn't really tell wether or not from wathcing the performance. The necks seemed awfly short to me...

12. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    ok, Tbird, I know that your 16, so i'm not sure whether to take this comment as a sarcastic remark toward the fact that JM isn't a bassist, or if you just completely disregarded everything ever said about pino palladino. I don't want to be a jerk, because I've read your other posts and the replies.

Pino plays Pbasses; they have necks that by all accounts, are FREAKING BASEBALL BATS.

no, they're not short scale. One day you'll be able to discern the look and sound of a short scale without even thinking about it.

13. Pino is around 6'5" so alot of basses will look short scale on him. ;)

14. Pino is one lanky dude.

He makes Precisions look like Strats.

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

Touché gentlemen.

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think there's a bigger issue here than Pino's size or JM's talent...what in the hell is anyone under 60 doing watching Jay Leno? There is nobody more talentless or soulless than Jay Leno. Yes, there was a time when Jay Leno was hilarious, and that ended 2 years before he got offered the job of hosting the Tonight Show. Let's look at the facts, shall we?

1. He pushed Johnny Carson out of hosting so he could get the job. Yes, I know popular wisdom says it was his evil ex-manager who did it, but after seeing Jay operate over the last few years, I'm firmly convinced that he did and set her up to be the fall guy. He acts all nicey-nicey, but he does a lot of bad things and thinks nothing of it.

2. He steals everything he does from Letterman and Howard Stern. "Headlines?" When Dave did it, it was called "Small Town News." "Jaywalking?" Howard did it years before Jay ever did it. Ross The Intern and Angela Ramos asking stupid questions at Hollywood premieres? Ever hear of a former Howard Stern cast member named Stuttering John? Of course you have...Jay stole him from the Stern show to be his announcer to replace his former announcer, whom he stole from Letterman. A stutterer as his announcer?! Get real! Jay only did it because he thought he'd get some younger demographics and all it did was make Stuttering John out to be more of a douchebag than he was on the Stern show. And let's not forget how Jay always has dogs and people performing stunts..."Stupid Pet/Human Tricks," anyone? He even tried to get NBC to make SNL show their skits on his show! SNL told him to go to hell, too.

3. He's got absolutely no remorse for stealing the Tonight Show from Dave Letterman, the guy who made Jay Leno what he was. Johnny Carson never even considered Jay for a guest shot until Dave showcased him all the time. And that's how he gets repaid. Nor does he have any remorse for trying to steal any number of staffers he got from other shows. But make a play for one of his guys and you get an angry phone call from Jay himself threatening to bury you.

Jay Leno is a second rate talk show host, a lousy interviewer, and a thief. The only reason he beats Dave in the ratings is because of all the old people who are scared that Dave will say something edgy. They never have to worry about that from Jay, though. Jay's edge disappeared, along with any vestiges of human behavior, in 1991. He's a soulless robot.

17. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Somebody needs a percocet.

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I saw John Mayer with john Scofield...and it didn't suck. If Mayer stretches, he is a much better player than you would expect.

He's still no SRV, though.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That may be, but it doesn't make Jay Leno any less of a soulless evil jackass.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Preach it Brotha', can I get an AMEN ?