Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was wondering if a Guitar POD XT would be able to handle the low B on a 5 Stringer?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carp3n0ct3m, Dec 17, 2005.

1. carp3n0ct3m

carp3n0ct3m

Aug 4, 2005
    I recently posted about buying a guitar POD XT for use with both bass and guitar since I heard that people play their basses through the guitar POD XT.

I was just wondering, probably a dumb question, but the guitar POD XT should be able to handle the LOW B on a 5 String bass or other even lower tunings seeing as it's a digital effect, right?

Thanks in advance,
    carp3n0ct3m

2. i don't have a pod or a low b, but my guess is that the pod can "handle" the low b, but being as it is for guitar, the tone of the b may be a little thinned out...its just a guess though

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    my uneducated guess would be they dont make the frequency range that low only becuase they make a bass specific one. I could tell you in a month when school starts again in our studio if thats true. I think superbassman2000 is right though, itd handle it, itd just not sound cool. Lots of guitar amps sound great recording a bass though so try it, you may be surprised.

4. well, what i was guessing was that the POD would pass the frequencies through, its just that the EQ points weren't set for the B, so they wouldn't be as strong. as for handling a low b, i always thought that that pertained to cabs, as some speakers are designed to only put out a certain frequency range, but thats what i am guessing...

5. carp3n0ct3m

carp3n0ct3m

Aug 4, 2005
    Thanks guys, I guess I'll find out for sure in a week or so when I get one.

6. does your amp have an effect loop? or maybe you could could get something to blend the original signal in with the POD, and you should be alright for sure...but maybe the guitar POD will surprise us all...who knows?

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The PODs have a more or less flat frequency response. I don't have a bass with a low B, but I've played my synths through my guitar PODxt using some powerful bass patches (low B and beyond), and there were no problems at all. The only problem I would see would be the amp models and their EQ points made with guitars in mind, BUT, the PODs also have a post-patch 4-band semi-parametric EQ to further tailor your sound.

8. carp3n0ct3m

carp3n0ct3m

Aug 4, 2005
    Thanks Kurt, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I don't care much about the presets, so long as I can edit them myself. Presets are never that good anyways, most they do is give you a starting point to start editing so you don't have to start from scratch.

9. carp3n0ct3m

carp3n0ct3m

Aug 4, 2005
    I think I might have found a better alternative to the guitar POD XT, the Line 6 TonePort. Although the TonePort requires a PC to work, it has 16 guitar amp models, 24 guitar amp cabs, effects, and 5 bass amp and cab models and it costs less than a regular POD at less than $200. I figure with a lower price than the POD, and the fact that it has some bass amps unlike the guitar POD XT, I can't go wrong. The only thing I'm afraid of is if my computer can handle it and output decent sound.

If anyone has tried a TonePort, please let me know how it worked out for you.

Thanks for all your help,
    Justin

10. are you using the POD/Toneport for guitar recording or what?

11. carp3n0ct3m

carp3n0ct3m

Aug 4, 2005
    Yes, I would like the ability to record both bass and guitar.

12. ok, then i'd go with the toneport as well, because that way you can have both guitar and bas stuff...otherwise i was going to say the one benifit that i could think of regarding getting the pod over the toneport is that you can take the POD on the road, but the toneport would be more difficult...

13. carp3n0ct3m

carp3n0ct3m

Aug 4, 2005
    I know the POD XT can be plugged into a standard socket for power, but is there a battery option to powering it?

14. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Nope, the only option is the AC power adaptor that comes with the POD.

That TonePort thing is interesting. I actually was considering that for a time, but I wanted something more portable, and in general I've been getting away from "virtual" instruments (or amps for that matter) that specifically rely on a PC host (I've moved from software synthesizers to real, keys'n'knobs hardware ones, and I wish I could move from a software drum kit to a real one, but I just don't have room in my cramped home studio for one! ;) )

I went with the guitar POD because I wanted an all-in-one, elegant guitar solution, and I'm one of those weird guys who likes to play bass through guitar amps anyway (in lower-volume, controlled environments anyway where I don't have to worry about blowing speakers), so that aspect didn't bother me.

15. carp3n0ct3m

carp3n0ct3m

Aug 4, 2005
    Ok, thanks Kurt, I guess I'll weigh my options and go from there. I usually have my computer on while I play bass as it is because I'm always looking at a tab or something, but I'm not quite sure if my computer can handle the TonePort, should be able to, but I'm not sure so it would be kinda nice if the item didn't rely on my pc to work.