1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I was wrong about Clmate Change!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by burk48237, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
  2. Global warming also means colder winters. It isn't so much that the Earth is getting hotter, it is that there is bigger extremes.

lowsound

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    How is that possible? I thought Global Warming was a rise in the AVERAGE temperature of the Earth. That means a general shift towards warmer everything. :confused:

4. It is a rise in average temperature, but the extremes are also more extreme. That is why there are more severe storms and what not as well.

lowsound

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Global warming fanatics will never give up. If it's unusually hot it's global warming. If it's unusually cold it's 'global climate change.' That's the great thing about saying 'climate change:' it doesn't really mean anything and can be applied to any weather phenomenon. We had a lot of hurricanes one year, that's climate change. Then we didn't have so many, but no one cares about that...

e: And any time there's a January thaw: WHOAH 70 degrees in January it's the SUV's fault, etc.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I still think that climate is cyclical, and the sun has everything to do with weather. This climate system is way more complicated than just a simple addition of some CO2 to the atmosphere.

7. This thread isn't political.....how?

8. Because we are talking about the climate.

lowsound

9. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    fanatics is a bit strong... I'm on the side of caution on this topic and I wish others would meet in the middle also... here's something I read from my wife's country that is quite surprising...

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Mild+winters+significantly+reduce+heating+costs/1135234362773

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Cl...eather+-+and+it+is+here+to+stay/1135234156225

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Fi...e+by+4+-+7+degrees+this+century/1076154488662

10. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

It isn't political at all.......yet. :p

11. Here in WA State our communist government is trying to pass a "global warming car tab tax"-I mean SCAM to get the rest of our money. I thought it was "global-warming" not "WA State warming". Don't move here.

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's how things work over on the Left Coast.

13. flaming_carrot.

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    First off, this always is a political issue, which is weird to me. Why would a person's political affiliation dictate whether or not they choose to accept predictions about climate change?

But secondly, I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter. As best I can tell from my own reading, if climate change is a real concern, it would happen suddenly, after a certain tipping point had been reached.

And since I don't see any way in which we can slow China's continued industrialization/escalating fossil fuels use, if it is a real danger, the US taking drastic action could at best delay things.

I've decided to believe that human activities have little to no impact because the alternative is depressing and futile.

15. I vote for the Green Party :bag: I think I just made this political :ninja:

lowsound

16. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It's political now.

Seriously, I just wanted to have a little fun with this one. It's like everybody got freaked out when I showed the Jimmy Kimmel movie "an Inconvient Youth". It's ok to laugh about this stuff. And last time I checked Al Gore wasn't running for anything except the title of "Biggest Energy Consummer in TN";)

17. How True - I couldn't have said it better.

18. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I don't mean this in a horrible way, but I feel like these two posts display a bit of a politicians wet dream... whatever "side" of the issue you feel you are on, you do need to take it back into your hands, and this shows a trend to throw ones hands up in the air and just say whatever. Seems too serious, whether it be a money scam, or that the Earth is melting, to do that.

19. I didn't mean to get anyone upset-I come to this (my favorite) website to get away from it all. :meh:

20. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Several scientists have anticipated the average temperature the next decade will drop drastically due to changes in the solar activity. Let's see what happens... I really don't know. I think solar activity plays a bigger role in the climate changes than the CO2 levels though.

This winter has been the warmest I can remember. I've never before experienced you cannot take a walk on the ice here in February. I'm used to have about 40 cm of ice where I live, but now we have max 5cm and not too far out on the sea there is no ice at all. Feels strange. The newspaper also said this winter is the warmest in 100 years.

We still have one month of winter until we reach the spring. Let's see how the weather in March turns out....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.