I watched Spinal Tap last night...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Dec 1, 2002.

1. FUNNY SH*T!! :D

Anybody else seen the movie/dvd?

I have to admit, for a movie, it was boring, but for an im-bored-need-something-to-occupy-me type thing, it was GREAT! :D
  2. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    If you have it on DVD be sure to watch the directors commentary. Its almost as funny as the actual movie!
  3. its probably one of the best movies i have ever seen. the only movie i like better is taxi driver. what really gets me about it, is that they are better as a band than most of the one that they are mocking. and the double neck bass rules.
    and the jaguar guitar that cant be played, hilarious.
  4. Oh, it gets better. I have a boss who's British. For Halloween he came as Derek Smalls.

Complete with Zucchini.:eek:

Rock on
  5. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    I never got a chance to see the whole movie, but what I did see, Merls kept coming to mind...I can't figure out why:rolleyes: ;) :D
  6. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    yeha its a beast, i borrowed it off my freind.

i like the whole 'cucumber-shlong' affair with the bassist :D or when the drumemrs keep dying :p

ps-did anyone notice the part where all the band (par drummer) are playings basses:confused:
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, Big bottom. (or was it big bottom girls? Can´t remember)
  8. bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    If by "boring" you mean "a masterpiece," then I'd have to agree.

"How much more black could it be? The answer is, none. None more black."

"There's a fine line between clever and stupid."

"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll."

"You can't really dust for vomit."
  9. Yep, a fantastic movie. Big Bottom is the track where they all play bass!

There is also The Return of Spinal Tap. This is mostly the seocnd album material, played at a 'gig' in the Albert Hall in London, not quite as classic as the first, but some bits are neverthelesss really funny!
  10. Oddley enough I watched both movies last night while I was posting stuff on here!!!

Awesome movie. My top goes to eleven, thats one louder. Why not make ten one louder? Because it goes to eleven. Thats the best ever!!!

My copy of the Royal Alberts hall is messed up and cuts off, any one want to mail me a copy?
  11. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've still not seen it. Is Spinal Tap the one where the amps go up to 11?
  12. Yes, that is indeed the film!

Nigel goes on in the second film to invent an amp capo!

Instead of putting a capo on the guitar, there's this big 'capo' like thing, to play higher, you get the roadies to move it up on the amp......
  13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, the one and only!
  14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    This movie gets better with repeat viewings. Much of the humor is very subtle and gets missed the first (or first five) times around. I pretty much laugh nonstop when this movie plays, I've seen it 50 times.

"Making a big thing out of it would be a good idea".

Rusty Cunfief made a hilarious hip-hop Spinal Tap homage called "Fear Of A Black Hat" that is IMO every bit as funny as the original movie. It's long out of print but is well worth seeking out.
  15. [​IMG]
    "The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin', that's what I say [...] My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo, I like to sink her with my pink torpedo"

"In the same key, though", et c, et c.
  16. If you watch it carefully you'll see that the funniest bit/line in each scene is just before it cuts.

Will look out for the alternative audio tracks now...
  17. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    This movie is funniest to anyone who did actual roadwork. I was in tears throughout much of this movie; the scene in the studio hit WAY too close to home! For a movie that's supposed to be a farce, it's more real than it should be! Although, since I played an Air Force base, they missed the boat there. The real thing is even funnier than the movie played it. Imagine playing to a crowded room as the fire dept. comes blasting through because your fireboxes set off the alarms, and no-one moved. Then, getting to read the new base policy forbidding open flames on the bulletin board. Oh, and watching all the guard dogs go nuts as your road crew drives past them in the truck smoking the non-filtereds.
  18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Tap: the Early Years".

"Listen....to what the Flower People say...."

If that movie is boring, It will soon be on "Masterpeice Theater".
  19. "shh, shh"

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Art at it's highest expression.

I can go one better: Who saw the Tap when they actually toured?

I caught them in Orlando on the "Break Like The Wind" tour. Highlight of the show: Steve Morse (who played lead guitar on several tunes throughout the night! :eek: ) playing bass with the Tap on "Big Bottom".

Second best part? During the extended guitar solo, Derek Smalls is shown on a screen behind the stage leaving the concert hall in a limo, going back to the hotel, taking a bath, getting a facial, and coming back to the hall in the limo. The bassist exacts revenge for all the people that talked over the bass solo or went to the bathroom. Brilliant.