Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I went Postal at the Post Office

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Max, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I've been repressed by The Man today and I'm sick of it. I go to make a business deposit and the teller at Wells Fargo hands me one of the checks back, a U.S. Postal Money Order, and says the bank won't negotiate it due to fraud problems. I've banked there for years and have been treated crappy by them. You'd think I would have the guts to change banks but it's a big hassle and I'm pretty much a battered wife when it comes to them.

I grumble out of there and head over to the Post Office to cash the money order. Stand in line like you always do and present the postal order to the clerk and ask her to cash it. She informs me she does not have enough money in her drawer. (It's a $250.00 money order.) She asks her coworkers who all shake their heads "nope, nope, nope."

So I start in. First I'm rationale. I say: "I'm holding the equivalent of a binding contract here. This is a negotiable instrument issued by the U.S. Postal Service guaranteeing payment to the holder of the note. You simply can't turn me away."

She gets smarmy with me like I didn't understand her "I told you, I don't have enough money in my drawer." In a raised voice, I reply "It doesn't matter. You have to honor your company's money order. Get your manager and go get in the safe and scrounge up enough money to honor my money order."

"That's not our procedure," she says.

Why waste the effort, but I then say "You are then part of an institutional fraud." And I start in again on the binding contract crap and how if the post office is issuing a money order that they know that can't honor at a given point in time, that's a misrepresentation.

I turn around and I'm being glared at by the other people in line. That just sucks to be right and have a bunch of as*hats look at you like you're the problem. I leave with her calling after me "Come back this afternoon when I have more money in my drawer."

So I have to go across town to a bigger post office with better cash flow to get my money order cashed.

So yeah, no one is ever paying me with a money order again. Heads up to anyone getting paid that way on Ebay or using money orders for anything.
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have gotten money orders bigger than that before and have had no problem cashing them at my bank. The largest were over 500 dollars.

Don't blame money order for your problem. Sounds like a bank change is in order.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I allways cash them at the post office.When i sold my first Sadowsky and i got the Money order for it i went to the bank around 9.30 am and was told they couldent cash it because they didint have enough money on hand so i had to go to another post office to get it cashed.

4. You're being silly. Money Orders, by and large, are a cheap, secure way to transfer reasonably large amounts of money through the mail. If the teller didn't have cash on hand, the teller didn't have cash on hand. Wait a few hours. Big deal.

5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Fine. I'm not sharing my winnings from the lawsuit with none of y'all.

6. For 25 years I consulted for banks and other financial institutions. Your bank leads my hit parade of banks never to do business with.

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    LOL . . . like she's supposed to waive a magic wand and make the money appear so she can cash your money order . . . Yeah, yeah, I know they're supposed to cash it and $250 is not a whole lot of money, but some smaller post offices just don't have it on hand some times. The larger ones ALWAYS do.

Nothing like keeping your cool and being reasonable, though . . . crap happens at my work too and I'm left shrugging my shoulders at a client saying "sorry, can't help at the moment", but the difference is when someone acts professional and understanding, or throws a hissy fit.

. . . guess which one YOU did . . . . :rolleyes:

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Agreed, but my guess is that he didn't present it for deposit, but rather wanted it CASHED ON THE SPOT. The bank would have little risk if deposited . . . if they refused to accept it FOR DEPOSIT, then I would have asked to see the manager of the bank, and calmly explain that if they did not accept it for deposit, then I would promptly close my account and find another bank.

Regardless, poopie on Wells Fargo. He should aim his angry tirades there, not at the poor underworked postal worker.

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    An establishment as large as Wells Fargo should have material on hand that points out the characteristics of fraudulent USPS money orders. Did the teller even take it to the CSM to get thier opinion on its validaty? It's completely unreasonable and just plain rediculous for them to deny a USPS money order, unless there were a glaring fault with it. I was a teller for a year-and-a-half at a much smaller bank than Wells Fargo, and we had plenty of training on how to detect suspected frauds; in fact, I caught quite a few forged/stolen/fraudulent checks, money orders, and even official checks, but almost always checked all my available resources if there was anything suspect.

10. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    So you guys are willing to take pot luck and play the game with the post office and guess what's a good time to drive there, wait in line, and hope they'll do you the favor of cashing it?

I'm not trying to be an s.o.b. here. I'll eat my meal at the restaurant even if it's not what I ordered. I'm still right on this. Legally, the post office can't turn you away. They have to honor that thing. And to tell a customer "to try again later" that's just crazy. I KNOW. It's the post office.

I'll change banks. I'm tired of their crap.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I like wells fargo. there is a really hot blonde working whenever I go in.

but max is a lawyer. so he must be on to something.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    And you would have if people had shown sympathy for your case?

Sounds like you got huffy and the teller got huffy back.

Good luck, though. In regards to the way you acted, I think you will need it.

13. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I was nice to the post office lady until she copped an attitude.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Might want to re-read what you wrote, the implied tone is not what I would consider nice.

Regardless, you can't find the smallest fault with the way you said those things? Sounds like you tried to tell the teller what her job was. Don't know about you, but that is something I dislike.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Some men...you just can't reach...so you get what we had here this morning. What part of "I DON"T HAVE THAT MUCH IN MY TILL" did you not understand? Rant on and on about your legal rights and the binding contract baloney all you want, the woman DID NOT HAVE THE CASH. Ya know, I would have been one of those people glaring at you as well, but I would have said something instead of just staring at you. You claim that the other people in the line staring at you were the butthats....no sir, you were the butthat. The rest of those folks were probably wondering what mental disability you had that was not allowing you to understand that the woman DID NOT HAVE THAT MUCH CASH IN HER TILL. Heck, she even went far enough to ask the other cashiers around her.

Do you think thousands of people were standing outside the SuperDome this past Sunday demanding that they be allowed to go in and watch the Saints game since they had a ticket in their hand, and legally the team must honor the commitment they made when they sold the ticket???? "I don't care about the hurricane. This ticket is a binding contract, let me in!!" Sounds ridiculous doesn't it....well, so do you.

-Mike

16. Ditto.

17. LOL! Love your analogy! :D
    Now, if it were a CLAPTON concert!.... :eyebrow:

18. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Ericman197 uses Valley National Bank, although he has his misgivings. For his debit account, he uses Commerce bank. He is also in the process of creating an account with Citibank.

19. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ah i see you just like to start trouble! How cute!lol

20. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Dude I don’t blame ya for getting mad! I have also had problems with banks! Tell ya how to get them back. Go cash it somewhere and get it in pennies! Then take it back to your bank and tell them you want to deposit it but you don’t know how much is in the bag! This will really piss them off! :D