1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I went to buy an RC20XL but came home with.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Geddyfleaharris, Apr 9, 2009.

1. A Digitech Hardwire Looper/Delay. Normally it takes awhile for me to warm up to pedals but I am really enjoying this one. The pedal seems to be solid like a tank and I really like the control knobs. Nice and solid. I did not think I would find use for a delay but this thing is changing my mind.

I know that the looping capabilities of the Hardwire are minimal compared to the Boss but the salesman really did not have much good to say about the RC20XL. He said his bass player has had nothing but troubles using one (glitches not incompetance lol) and that the operation of the pedals is backwards from how you think they should be i.e. the stomp works opposite so you really have to think about what you are doing. Is that right? I really don't know.

So is the salesman off base with his assessment of the RC20XL? Am I cheating myself by going with the Hardwire? I know for looping I am but the overall package of the Hardwire is pretty cool. It is $100 cheaper than the RC20XL in these parts.

If I returned this and got a Boss loop station I am pretty sure I would want to add a delay. I can hear uses for it in our trio.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    is the hardwire useable with its given controls? listen, it's a newer design than the boss - if it works for what you're trying to do, you saved a hundred bucks!

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    With the Hardwire's blend set at 50/50, do you have a volume drop? i.e. 50% loop volume and 50% dry signal volume? That was my biggest problem with the SMMH. Turn it on to do some looping and your volume drops; the overall volume goes up once you start adding loops, but I want to be able to engage the looper whilst keeping my dry signal at a constant volume. The RC-20 / Jamman etc have separate level controls for dry signal and loop volume which is much better in my book.

4. I tried my bass teacher's RC-20 and it was great fun, but it seemed like it enjoyed acting up a little. We had to turn it off and back on again after messing with the settings because it refused to respond once we had twisted a few knobs...

5. I will have to check that out. I have only tried it at home and for maybe about 45 minutes last night. Good point.

6. how is the bypass?

7. As far as I can tell the bypass is stellar!

8. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    To be fair to the rc-20Xl i think it might have been the teacher messing up ;-) He might not have spend quite enough time with the knobs yet.

9. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    Yeah... I've spent a good about of time with my loop station, and I love it.

I will say though, the next higher model from boss is much MUCH more useful.

10. He's a little malcoordinated, so he probably broke it with his fat fingers. ;)

11. BiigM

BiigM

Nov 11, 2007
    Denmark
    hehe :)

12. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The RC-20XL is decent but for 40$ more, you can get the Jamman which is far superior with its upgradeable memory and USB support. The Hardwire delay is very nice as well and it seems you are fine with the 16 seconds of looping so that's cool. :D

13. The RC-20 works great for me. You have to read the manual but it's not really complicated and it always works just fine.

If you just want a practice tool you're probably fine with a single pedal but if you want to use it live you're probably gonna want a two-pedal model so you can turn a loop off and then start it from the beginning again.

14. And that's sort of what I am coming to realize. I like the Hardwire but more for its delay then the looping. The looping is fine but limited. I can see where I want more looping. But that doesn't take away from the fact that it is a solid pedal.

15. theunknowndude

theunknowndude Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Adelaide, Australia
    I actually quite like the digitech looper for its looping, pretty simple, just hold down to record, hold down longer to record another loop on top of, and tap to turn it off... alot of the RC stuff just got either too complex or scarey!

when the volume is set at noon the first loop does seem to have a bit of a volume drop in comparison to dry signal, once another loop is on as well its not too bad, or can just compensate with level up a bit :) I generally only run one loop though...