I went to change my strings and.......HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Johnalex, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I went to change my strings today. SO I took all of the strings off and then put the E string on..I then tightened the string. Now the damn string rests too close to the fretboard and the string won't vibrate, it just buzzes really bad. I have no idea how to fix it??? What on the bass to I have to do to fix it? Thanks

P.S. I think this is in the right forum??????
  2. Put all the strings on. The tension pulls the neck back to the correct position. If it's still too bowed, then you'll have to do a truss rod adjustment. Then string height. Then set inotation. Normal setup stuffs you should do with a string change.

BTW, some will say that you should change strings in stages. i.e. change A and D strings, then the E and G. Keeps the neck from twisting/getting funky.

But I've never had a problem with my basses.

Good luck.
  3. Can you give more info?

I.E. what kind of strings did you put on?
    What gauge?

Are you tuned to an E but down an octave?
  4. Yea - I did that once. Change ONE string at a time in the future: Take the old string off, put the new string on, tune it, at the middle pull the string away from the fret board a couple of times(you will hear some stretch, tune it again, and then move to the next string.

That should keep the neck from loosing its shape. For now just put all the strings on and it should be back to 'normal' ...

5. Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    Don't wanna start a major discussion now, but most of the biggies in luthiery seem to agree that there's no harm in taken off all the strings at once... Basses are tougher than that! Just don't let it sit without strings for more than a day or so!
    Best regards, Bassmouse3
  6. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Well I put the rest of the strings on and there was no difference..but I pushed on the neck forward and the strings went off the frets. So I belive I just need to adjust the trust rod....well One more quetion. What tool do I use to adjust the trust rod??? an alan wrench? Thanks