Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I went to GC looking for an OLP Musicman Clone and came out with this:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reasonbass, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Because they didn't have any...So I saw this hanging all the way up. I might play for my friends band and I was looking for a 4 banger, because I didn't want to use my five string. So I asked the saleguy there if I can try it out. So I plug it into an Ampeg combo amp and it sounded pretty good. I just noodled around with it ,cause so idiot was blasting some guitar amp. It sounded pretty good but it need it a little bit of setting up. I told the salesman that the bass sounded pretty good but it need it a set up. So the guys tells me hell knock the price down if took it. Fine, I told him. If I didn't like it I'll just return it. So I get home set it up, and plugged into my Swr 750 and Ampeg 8x10. All I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised. It had the punch and growl that I was looking for in a MusicMan style pickup bass that I was looking for. And the Jazz pup on the neck gave it a nice warm fat bottom end when both pups blended together. Its definatly a keeper.

While I've havent been an Ibanez fan. I like this bass alot. Its very well made and a nice set up can do amazing things. And later on while I was playing it. I found out that this bass also has a coil push/pull switch too. That was really neat!

So without any ado heres is the obligatory pics
    Oh yeah its an Ibanez RD500...It reminds me of a poormans Lakland.

2. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Congrats. It looks great. :) The bridge looks pretty massive. How much does it weigh?

3. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Yeah, you could swap out the PUPs for some barts, and you might get pretty close to the Lakland!

4. Well, compared to my heavy as hell Ash/Maple Jazz with a badass 5 with a Badass Bridge. It weighs nothing. But the bridge is massive, Its weird how the strings are anchored though. I'll have to figure that out later.

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Looks neat, the new RDs have got good reviews all over the place. What's the body wood?

6. The body wood is Basswood, which I know has got a bad rep. But Bongos are Basswood too. And toped with a maple quilt.

7. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    BTBs are basswood w/ a maple cap as well and most people love em.

8. Nice score! I played one of those at GC and I dug it.. excellent playability and big sound.
    I love how the guy gave you a discount because the bass needed to be tweaked. I'm gonna have to remember to try that one!

9. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Nothing wrong with basswood :)

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Nice! Do they come in a 5 string?? And what was the price range? I actually have a Lakland 55-01 that I just cannot get comfortable with and am looking to trade. I'm heading to the Va. Beach GC tomorrow!

11. I have never been an Ibanez fan but I have been impressed with their new basses lately. The one you got sounds good. I heard a guy playing one live. I dig the artcores too. Congrats. Nice little bass.

12. yeah, they have a 5 string version, mine was regularly priced at 369.00. I think the 5'ver was 449.00 or something.

13. Nice Score! I'm pretty impressed by some of Ibanez' higher end basses. Tight and punchy sound.

This one looks like it would have a nice GR-ROW-ELL! And the addition of the neck pup is a nice touch. I bet if you solo that neck pickup you'd get a nice P-ish sound, too. And the addition of a series/parallel switch is a great touch.

I sincerely hope that this bass brings you loads of fun.

14. stamman5

stamman5

Aug 10, 2004
    Boston
    Much better choice than your original idea IMO. Nice looking bass.

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I like those too. Played one at GC a month a go.

Neck felt like an ATK to me. A little bigger than I usually like but the bass sounded good.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I see Ibanez is stepping up their game! I always felt that they made decent basses! I own an original SR505 from the mid 90's. Besides the thin neck, it's a very good sounding and playable bass. Just not a 'slapper'. The pickups and pre-amp are excellent. I may even have a gander at a BTB 5 string.

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This bass is worth checking out if since the humbucker's coil can be split. The split humbucker is the key to Lakland 55-94's versatility IMO. As much as I love my Peavey USA MIllennium 5, the lack of a coil splitter is a major flaw in it's electronics. At $449, I will have to check out that Ibanez 5.

18. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Just went to ibanez.com... bad news for fivers...

The 505 looks great, but no coil split (just like the 500 pictured in this thread). However, only the 900FM has the coil splitter, and apparently, there's no 905FM. :(

CRAP!!!!