Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I went to guitar center today.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I went to go pick up a box to ship my conklin away in, but when I walked in, I saw this Musicman SR5 calling out for me to play it. I'm not a fan of 5 strings, but I just picked it up and played it. I have a new found respect for 5ers. The thing sounded great. Great tone, easy to play, great feel. The tone was great, but didn't fit my tonal needs. It still sounded AMAZING. I put it down to try out a Spector Rebop 5 which wasn't too great, but still enjoyable. The neck was thick, a little too thick. I played a thumb 5 which also had a very fat neck and wasn't setup too great. The strings were also wicked thick, and I'm used to extra extra light strings. I looked across the room and saw a cherryburst pedulla rapture 5 string (with the single bartolini pickup). The thing was setup with the strings I love (.030 G, .090 E) and sounded amazing! Wow, that thing was fun and easy to play. Thin neck, great spacing, and WOW. (It was also $799!) I would pick it up if I could, but I still need to get money for other bassish needs.

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Err, you have 4 and 7 strings, but you're not a fan of 5ers? Just curious, but where is the logic in that?

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Notice hes selling the 7;)

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was never a fan of anything above 4. Instead of testing hte waters gradually, I jumped in and bought a 7. I never really liked it too much, but I was digging the B string.

5. LoneRanger

LoneRanger

Jun 22, 2003
    NE Ohio
    If you buy it, maybe they'll give you a box. :meh:

The Master of GAS Rationalization

6. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Yo, that pedulla is sick man, the playabiltiy blew me away, considering its at guitar sencter and all. The sound is pretty nice, but id prefer if it had two jazz single coils instead. Great bass though. I liked the Bongo 5 Humbucker/Single coild they got in too. Very nice.

7. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    Bongo 5's are very nice. I wish they weren't so darn ugly though. Musicman needs to bring back the sabre.