Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I went to my music store today...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Diowulf, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    to check out if they had my Schaller tuning heads (about $100) that I ordered over THREE MONTHES AGO! I've been keeping up on my order about every week, and all they ever say is "Yeah, they're on backorder." Now I talk to the same guy everytime, and everytime I talk to him on the phone he says that he going to check with his purchaser, and all I ever get is "Ther're still on back order, thank you for your patience." I asked today if there was anything I could do about it and he said "no", I just have to wait for them to come in. I asked if I could get my money back, and he said yes, but scince I'm so far into the process he said that would be a bad idea because the place that they order from could get them any day. He said I could try to find a place online to get them, and I thought I might as well because I'll probably never get them from that place.

The fact is, I have to tune my bass everytime I play it, (almost ever day) and I'm getting sick of it. And originally when I did order them, he said it was going to take 5 TO 7 DAYS!

Have any of you had a similar problem with your music store?

And can any of you recommend a place online where I can buy tuning heads 2L/2R (I have an Ibanez GSR200) Thank you in advance.

-Dino

2. Minimaul

Minimaul

Jun 22, 2003
    When stuff is on backorder like that there is nothing the music stores can do. It's a manufacturer problem. Although, it would be good buisness for the store to give you your money back. Or find something else comparable in price/quallity that they can get you then.

Sounds like the guy is giving you the 'run around'.

I've worked in retail for about 7 years and I'm the manager of a small, local snowboard and skate shop. I "Manage" 3 stores. If someone orders something through us (which we don't often do, but i'm using this an an example) we keep the customer informed of what's going on. If they come in and say "hey, i ordered these snowboard pants a month ago and I haven't heard anything back. I paid in full already and I was told it would only take a week or so" (sound familiar?). They ALWAYS come in at night so I have to tell them that I will call the company in first thing in the morning. And I'll give them a call after I talk to them, or to call me if they don't hear from me by lunch time - hey, I'm only human and sometimes i forget!

Generally, if the manufacturer say's it's "on back order" I'll get an estimated time. Or atleast what the problem is. Sometimes, snowboards will get warrentied but they companies are out (they only make a certain amount) so they have to wait till early, early next season. I'll tell the customer "hey, it's going be a long wait, till about October. But there's no snow anyway AND you're going to be getting a brand new NEXT YEARS board in!" They are usually pretty stoaked and can withstand the wait.

In my opinion the music shop (maybe just the employee) is giving you the run around. Is he really calling the manufacturer? Or just saying he did and that it's STILL on back order? Ask him why it's on back order. Ask what the problem is. Ask if they have an estimated time of arival.

I'm willing to bet that he won't have any of the answers, 'cause he's just giving you the run around and being a lazy employee (I've been guitly of that before).

If they have no answers for you, and they basically took your money without any speedy way of getting you your product you should definantly get your money back. I doubt there are any laws, or anything protecting you. But it would be good buisness for them to give it back. Or to get off their asses and find out what's going on. Don't speak to that guy anymore. Of course he's being nice, they have your money, you have no product and you're mad (you better be!) about it. Don't actaully get mad, ever! You'll never get anything that way , trust me. They'll do the opisite just to spite you. Atleast I will :D

Talk to the manager, or owner. If it's a smaller , local shop try talking to the highest-high-up you can talk to. If it's a big cooprate store, talk to the district Managers manager. Go to the top. They are the one's that care, becuase it's their buisness and they get paid to make sure things work smoothly, and customers are happy. The guy getting paid $7.00 on the floor doesn't care. He's just trying to be cool.

hmm... A little long winded, but I hope you get the point. It's in there somewhere!

3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    The guy that I talk to seems knowledgable and isn't just some schmuck (I believe) but he is forgetful. I've talked to another guy I know there and he says "I dont know why they let customers special order products when they know they wont get the products for a while." (which means this happends there on several occations) I have not tried talking to the manager yet (which I should probably do now), but I was hoping it wouldn't have to come to this. When I ask him why it's on back order, he says "we're at the mercy of our suppliers" meaning that they dont have a grasp on anything they order. The guy said that they couldn't really keep track of the tunning heads because the place that the get it from that is ordering it doesn't even know when they will recieve because of some reason that I forget. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    He doesn't seem like he's giving you the runaround at all. He told you that you should try online sources, and he also told you that you in all likelihood won't even get them from these people.

5. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    He said I should look for some places online quickly, because they may come in whenever and if they do, I can't get my money back. It's just that they have no idea when they might come in.

On another not, I was looking for the Schaller homepage, and wondering if they even had one :confused:. But if anyone knows what it is can you please post it :) , It would be greatly appreciated.

-Dino

6. Do you want the chrome or the gold? Stew-Mac's web site shows they have the gold in stock, but says "contact us" for the chrome....

P.S. Stew-Mac may even be cheaper.

7. Very similar story to me...
    Tuning heads as well... 17 weeks wait on backorder.
    This is $20AUD tuning heads!

Luckily I don't have to pay until he gets em in!.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LOL. I tune my basses every time I play them and between every set at gigs. They're all high-end basses, so it's not the tuners. Basses go out of tune for a number of reasons: mostly changes in temperature or changes in humidity. At the beginning of a gig, your bass isn't as warm as it's going to be after an hour pressed against your hot, sweaty torso. So it will go out of tune.

It's a good idea to get in the habit of tuning your bass every time you pick it up. It's a routine.

9. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I know what you mean...but I have palyed some of my friends basses that he hasn't played for a months, and they were in perfect tune. I already am in the habbit of tuning it everytime I pick it up, but scince I dont have a trained ear I always use a tuner. I would just like the assurance.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I tune my basses every time I pick them up. I used to only tune every three or four days, but about a couple months after I got my fretless, I got totally anal about tuning...after all, how well can you intonate when the string itself isn't even perfectly in tune? Now I don't even think about it. Even if I pick up someone else's bass, I check the tuning with an electronic tuner -- I can get pretty close with just my ears, but I'm all about *perfect* tuning. Seems to be a good habit to have.