i went to the luthier this morning

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yvon, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I needed a good tune up on my Tung, so I bring it to a luthier here in montreal.
    I asked him about having a fretless made by him.
    He agreed on everything, but you should see the look on his face when I said I wanted it bolt-on!!
    He tried to convince me to have it neck trough, but I don't like neck through bass, he insisted and insisted.
    He finaly said he could make it bolt on, but he insisted that it was MY decision!

why he didn't want to make it bolt on?
    Do you think it would sound better as a neck trhough?

I will probably go see another luthier anyway.
    here's a link to his web site:

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Just a regular tune up.
    I usualy do them myself, but a pro always does it better.
    I will have it back next week :(
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i don't know, but i think that a lot of people think that nack thru is better only because a lot of high masses basses are bolt on. they think that bolt on is cheaper and so it's not so good. i'm partial to bolt on, i built and played several asses and the only neck thru that i still have is a Ric 4001. bolt on is much better for me. it sounds warmer and with a bigger attack and punch. nothing against the neck thru, but i prefer a lot bolt ons, even if custom built by a luthier.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Uh-huh... :eek:
  5. That's nothing - he built them too!
  6. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    oh my god i have built and played several ASSES!!!!:D
  7. Hey barroso - having seen the look and quality of your prototype basses, I'm dying to see some of your plans for you asses!!!!:D