I will cry if

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ashton, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    my bass is a short scale so how do I tell the difference.

I thought my first bass was a short scale and when its next to my precision its about 2 inches shorter.

What do I measure to find if its a normal scale or short scale?

Would the serial number of my fender help? I checked it out on google and couldn't find anything on short scale fender bass serial numbers.

Please help me.:crying:

From headstock to butt it is 46 inches?
  2. Scale is the length of the vibrating portion of an open string. Measure from the nut to the bridge saddle: Your(bass')scale.:) I hope this helps.
  3. Just tell us what kind of Fender it is.

The standard Jazz and P-bass models (Us and Mexican) are your standard 34" and the Mustang is the 30" There might be some others. I'm not too sure.
  4. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Its a Japanese fender precision. 34 inches from nut to saddle.

If its 'normal' you all get a hug.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It's Standard. All scales are normal.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    There's nothing wrong with short-scale basses intrinsically - they can simply fit some forms of music (I seem to remember a certain Liverpoolian creating magical lines on one, as well as some funker named Stanley something... :smug: ) better than others - \m/etallica, on the other hand, I wouldn't audition for with one.

...and headstock-to-butt length has absolutely nothing to do with scale length. Either nut-to-bridge saddle or nut-to-12th fret x2 will determine that.
  7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    Some basses appear shorter or longer depending how the neck is set into the body.some the last fret may be closer to the "edge' some set farther in giving the appearance of a shorter scale when they can both be 34" scale
  8. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Hows that?

My bass is one of the E series made in 84 I beleive. Made in as opposed to Crafted in Japan. The truss rod does not show at the headstock which I thought was interesting, instead it is the skunkstripe I am guessing. Unless someone can correct me.

My bass has 20 frets if it helps. Though at the moment I am led to beleive it is a standard 'nothing but a precision bass' bass, which makes me happy.
  9. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Does that mean that fender did make shorter versions of the 34 scale P bass in Japan during the 80's?