1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I will never figure out the inconsistencies in eBay sell prices!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I pick up my new Sadowsky MS5 tomorrow and I thought it would be a great idea to sell a few basses to help pay for THE LAST BASS I WILL EVER NEED.:rolleyes:

I looked at my collection and decided to sell my amazing 1993 MIM Fender P bass and my rarely played 1997 MIA Fender Jazz V Deluxe. So off to eBay they go. I set my reserves for what I would be happy with and both were extremely fair.

Anyways, my MIM P bass had a reserve of $320. It included a new gig bag, it is mint, had a BAII, new SD basslines PU, pearloid pickup, new bone nut, straplocks, etc. Almost $300 in non cosmetic altering top of the line upgrades. Highest bid $240. It will remain mine out of principle as it truly is a great sounding/looking/playing bass. Off to the basement it again goes. My feedback is 100% and I have hundreds of transactions also. Shipping was also like $45 which is the actual cost. And the pics were great. Nothing in my ad should have prevented an interested bidder.

My 1997 Jazz V? I figured I would set the reserve at $620 which is what I paid. This is a great bass and I figured $650-700 would be the final price. Nope. 89 people watching and it went for $1000.

Craziness. Hard to figure it out sometimes!

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

No worries, Baird

Im in the process of selling an Alembic I've had 24 years. No use, no use being in the stable. Good luck with the sales

Rob

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Demand and who is looking at Ebay at the time.

Relist it in a week and you might get double that.

4. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Having a winning bidder doesn't always mean the sale went through.

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

eBay is notorious for being out of whack price-wise. WHat something is worth and what it will go for on eBay are not necessarily the same. Depends on who is bidding and when.

6. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    .....and how many beers they've had!! Have to admit I've made a couple of buys that I might have had second thoughts about sober!!

7. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Don't you have 4-5 of those now??? :D

In all seriousness, I know what you mean. When I was playing guitar, I had all Mesa rackmount equipment. Completely modular and heavy as could be. I literally sold each piece for double what I paid for them. They were not worth that much, but hey I wasn't the one bidding. Its funny that your 10 year old Fender Deluxe V went for about $100 less than a brand new one. As for the MIM, people are still scared of them, I guess. No worries. Enjoy the new Sad when you get it.

8. Sounds like you made out rather well. You sold the 1997 MIA for about what you wanted for both basses and you get to keep the 1993 MIM. Thats almost like getting a free bass.:D

9. Baird6869

Agreed. I was scared for a while as one guy was in the lead with almost no feedback until the very end. The guy that bought it has bought a lot of stuff over the years which is nice.

10. Baird6869

I agree with you on that.

I have a buddy that bought then entire Time/Life cd collection (50 cds or so and $350) from TV when we were hammered.

3 weeks later he calls me up asking "What the %&#@ is this huge crate of cds doing on my doorstep and why didn't you ba$tard$ talk me out of it?" Classic stuff and we still talk about it today (15 years later!):D

11. Baird6869

Postscript...

Stiffed on the $1000 sale on the Fender Jazz V. Someone hacked into a guy's account and was trying to wind up with a free bass. Must be relisted. Pi$$es me off.

The wife is happy though:rolleyes:.... we are $1000 poorer (for now) and a Sadowsky MS5 richer (yep... picked that one up earlier today). THANK GOD she is in NYC on business until the weekend.:help::bag:

12. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    You're a member here... why not just list them on the classifieds? Much easier and the people on Talkbass are more trustworthy than on eBay. ;)

13. Hmm. Sounds like yer trying to apply rationality to irrationality. I watched some guy pay a third more than new retail for an easily obtained used MM neck. Go figure.
    Josh

14. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I picked up a brand new Guild B-30 fretless bass that Bass Place was liquidating for $600. Had it for about a month and then listed it. First week it went to $395. Second time listed it sold for $1000. Proof there is no telling from week to week who will be looking.

15. Baird6869

I did... No bites!

16. lola99

lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    My ex's brother makes a living selling on ebay, and he says that it's chaotic, but chaotic in such a way that the chaos creates a design...sort of like the stock market. I've got a few good deals on ebay--a lovely black-on-black, slanted pick-up 1984 peavey fury with the hard case for $135 comes to mind...my ex-bro-in-law has all sorts of stress-related illnesses btw. Good luck.

17. I'm always amazed by how often I see current production electronics gear sell for well over list price. You're on the internet, how difficult is it to open a tab and check the street price of gear? It's essentially gotten to the point where I don't even try to buy on ebay anymore.

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    It IS wacky.

I've seen a stock SX that was also being sold by Kurt/Rondo go for more than Kurt had new ones for. I've also seen a white Epi T-Bird sell for more than a new non-white one and for more than a Greco T-Bird(!!??).

There are a couple of things I've experimented with: listing length, start & end dates, etc over the years. I've ALWAYS done best paying the extra $0.40(maybe more or less now with the new rates) for a 10 day listing and place it so it is active over 2 weekends. Also time ads to end on Sunday night or Monday night(eBay's busiest days of the week).

19. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I bought 4 pedals on eBay in the early hours of Sunday morning. Two of them turned up this morning and I was all "Eh? Oh! Oh dear...". :D

I've vowed never again to turn on the computer when I've been on the sauce.

As for eBay prices: I've been watching a bunch of Boss OC-2s lately going for £40+, thinking I don't want to pay that for one. Some of them were chipped all over, some were missing knobs, etc. I finally got one for £28 and it's mint, looks like it just came out of the factory - even the box is spotless. I suppose the market was just saturated with them in the last week or so, and everybody who wanted one had already got one.

Obvious tip: The best time to be stalking stuff on eBay is the two months prior to christmas. Buyer's market!