1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I will never trust another Tb'er again!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Truktek2, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Truktek2

Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
    So I took my family across country to visit family and ended up in California. After hearing so much about Del Taco, I just had to try it for myself. :atoz:. Oh well, at least I got to drive on the pacific coast highway. Absolutely beautiful scenery. California is a beautiful state and the kids loved Disneyland.

I can't believe how many people have tattoos. No, I mean TATTOOS. Completely covered. Sleeves, backs, legs, everywhere. I even saw guys with their faces and heads tattood. Mothers, fathers, teens and older people. I was just waiting to see a kid in a stroller with a neck tat. I hadn't realized they were so prevelant there.

Laguna Beach. Seriously? 12.00 for a slice of pizza and a soda? We don't charge that in NYC. :rolleyes:

All in all a great trip but glad to be home.
    So while I can't trust my fellow TB'ers to recommend where to dine, the hot asian chicks restored my faith in TB:bassist:

2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Yeah, Del Taco isn't good at all. It makes Taco Bell look like gourmet. And of course you guys don't charge that in NYC. You guys charge $20 for the same deal ;)

sissy kathy and Will_White like this.
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Weird how peoples views can be so different. I personally think Taco Bell is dog food compared to Del Taco.

When I worked at a hotel once...this lady from Virginia told me that Natural Ice was 7 dollars for a 6 pack there and that people loved it. At the time, here on the west coast, it was 4 bucks for a 12 pack and people hated it. Go figure...

4. Wow...I don't know who told you Del Taco was the place to be. It's an extremely "meh" place to run in and get a quick lunch, and some locations are just nasty. But, like Tasty, I do like it more than Taco Bell

Tats....heh...I assume you went through Huntington Beach at that point :p

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Dude, you were in Laguna Beach. Everything is expensive there. I am sure you can find $12 a slice pizza somewhere in New York.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    1)Del Taco is a low end fast food restaurant. While its great for a 99ยข burrito its hardly near fine dining. It doesnt even compete with the local taquerias.

1)Laguna Beach is pretty sweet as far as the beach itself goes. Aside from that its a tourist trap "artist commmunity" like Idlewild. Plus its in Orange County. If youre going to beach it in the OC you should have went to Newport. ;)

7. With all the incredible taquerias in Southern California, you went to Del Taco? You are doing it wrong.

SonicBlueJoe, nixdad, Rodent and 2 others like this.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Did you have any meals you enjoyed? I hope you didn't feed your family Del Taco and Laguna Beach pizza the whole time you were there.

-Mike

9. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :confused:

Had you a started a "Where do I eat in Southern California?" thread I guarantee that Del Taco wouldn't have even made the top ten!

nixdad, SunnBass and MJ5150 like this.
  10. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I'm sorry you had a poor experience of California. Please don't tar all of the state with the same brush. Laguna Beach isn't the benchmark! That said, neither is Del Taco.

I personally think Del Taco is hideous food. One thing you missed were all the mom'n'pop style Mexican restaurants that serve 'street style' tacos. They would have had you singing their praises from the rooftops.

Please give California another chance, and see some other parts. It's a beautiful state. The LA area isn't my idea of a good time at all. Go north or south for an hour or so, and it's a different world.

11. Del Taco & Taco bell do not really qualify as food for me- I eat the sh- sure, but there are FAR better places in every town in Cali. Shoot, the average roach coach will treat you better. Tats are everywhere, yes.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Did you at least get to experience the protests/riots in Anaheim while you were at Disneyland?

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Laguna Beach is and hour south of LA. :smug:
    And there's plenty of good times to be had in LA.

14. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Green burritos are something I crave from time to time ( rarely ), but other than that Del Taco is pretty crappy as far as "Mexican" food goes. Jimboys or Aldabertos is my "fast food" Mexican food of choice in my neck of the woods. Marias Tacos in the Arden area is bangin' though and I'll travel there for grub occasionally.

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

No way unless it's at some ritzy restaurant! And that pizza isn't even close to what you get at regular pizza joints! I grew up in NY and I've never paid more than $3.50 a slice with a couple toppings. Maybe $4 for a slice of specialty pizza. I go home at least 3-4 times a year and the first place I hit is my old pizza spot (then City Island for seafood)! I bring home a large white pizza every time. $12.

16. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Isn't Del Taco fast food? Why did you have such high expectations for fast food?

I am kinda craving some tacos now though.

17. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    As others have said, Del Taco ranks far below almost every local, family-owned, hole-in-the-wall Mexican food restaurant or taco shack. If you're basing Califorina Mexican food on your experience at Del Taco, you failed.

That said, Del Taco > Taco Bell. Among major fast food chains, Del Taco is in my personal top 3.

18. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Not all fast food is created equallly

tommy-burger-sign.

545-IN-N-OUT-BURGER-ED.

19. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    In N Out. The only chain worth going to.

Mexican food is all about the little family owned places.

Pilgrim likes this.
  20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Steak N Shake >>> In N Out

Luke19Boarder likes this.