I will soon be able to afford a nice new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Righty, if I get 'A' or 'A*' grades in my GCSEs, I get £300. I will also have around £250 from saving money. I will also have whatever I sell my Ashdown for. So let's say £700? For £700, what can I afford that has loads of headroom, and sounds great?
  2. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Behringer, oh wait you said sounds great
  3. Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 if you shop around they are about £700 new
  4. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    wow Bassampegman.. you're in Suffolk! where abouts? I'm just up the rooood in sunny nerrrrfolk!
  5. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Get some turntable's and a disco ball.... :oops:

Jeez! People just think that everyone already knows these things. I understand it from people who are knew to the forums... but c'mon Nick. Give us a little background here. You know better :spit:
  6. Ok. Hmmm, Something LOUD. Something that can run for hours up on hours without blowing up. It's gotta be tough, reliable, and loud. As for the sound, well, I like a versatile amp that can do fat punchy and warm, to growly and agressive.
  7. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I'm glad for you Nick (as I absolutely hate Ashdown). I'd recommend Ampeg, but prices will grow out of range. For that price you can get some Peavey setup (tough, reliable, loud and versatile). I'm a great fan of Peavey (and of any other brand that doesn't abuse our pockets and doesn't miserably lie in their specs -:cough: Ashdown :cough:).

8. Hmmm Peavey. I was thinkin a 4x10 might be an idea, or perhaps even a cheap 8x10, but I have no idea of Peavey prices(btw, I will most likely have about £1000 to spend as I'm gonna save up other money I have).
  9. out of curiousity, whats wrong with ashdown?
  10. Absolutely nothing wrong with Ashdown. It's just people are saying that to handle the active basses I have I need a lot of power and 'headroom', whatever that is.
  11. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Hmmm. If I had that sort of money (which I'm afraid I don't!) I'd probably go for the Kustom GrooveBass Head (1,200 Watts into 2 Ohms) for £540. I haven't heard it, but a number of guys on here are raving about it....

try going here: -

And possibly a 410 LOUD cabinet from over at Bassworld.co.uk UK (see the sticky under General Equipment Posts), for £170, giving you a grand total of £710 for a totally monster rig! :bassist:

Be aware that from what I've read there is a lonnngg waiting time for the LOUD cabs, which is the reason I didn't end up buying one in the end (...yes I bought the 'B' word).
    Also remember that the LOUD cab is rated at 4 Ohms so you won't get the full 1,200 Watts unless you run it in parallel with another 4 Ohm cab.
  12. Hmm intersting. I will look at that in detail. Another thing I have been looking at is Peavey as mentioned above...everyone reckons they're great, so I thought I'd check their prices. For £1047 I can get a 115BX BW, 410 TVX, and a Firebass 700 head. Hmmm.
  13. :eek: :D Man, that's a right beast! You know the 410 cabs? Who is making them, and how do you get them for £170? Second hand? If I could, I'd buy two 4x10 cabs, and have a 1200 watt 8x10. :cool: That really owuld scare the guitarists in my band :D
  14. for what its worth nick, i once borrowed a mates rig, that was firebass 700 and 2 x 410 TVF. it performed flawlessly and an outdoor gig for about 4-5 hours straight without P.A. support.. and in terms of reliability peavey is king! and 'In My Opinion' the tone was just great.

The basses you have would go great with that rig, and you'd have gobs of power and 'headroom' to spare.

NB: the difference between the TVX and TVF is just carpet and tolex, sonically there the same, with the TVX being the newer model.
  15. NICE! I fear that if I get Peavey though, I may get more alligations of being a Mike Kroeger wannabe :ninja: ;)
  16. alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    To be honest I'm not sure how they do it! But if u look around for reviews they are quite highly thought of. Basically a UK equivalent to Avatar from what I can gather :D

As far as I am aware they are new (not second hand), and come with loaded with eminence drivers....u could try to PM Grimble at bassworld, as he will obviously know alot more than I do
  17. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Peavey are great amps and they LAST just look at every practice room you go in they always have some sort of peavey knocking around.

Don't worry about being compared to Mike, Nick he'll still have much nicer gear than you :spit: :p

What about that 800w fender head they're meant to be pretty good and run at 1200w at 2 ohms they're not cheap but they're not expensive for the features.

Maybe if you only ned about 500 watts or so the Hartke head erm not sure of the model but its that one in the wooden box not just the rack mount like the old 3500 series

Oh and don't forget Ashdown make a 600w Mag head.

Just some ideas to go on
  18. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    Yeah there are a few with Loud cabs on BW.. and planty more waiting for them to be delivered. I hear there has been a long lead time on delivery!

you are correct, they are new, and yeah, sounds like they use Emin' drivers. Grimble is da man to talk too. nice chap, will answer all ya Q's.
  19. Ok, how do I get one of these 'Loud' cabs(is that the company name?). They sound really interesting and damn good value for money. If I got two and ran them in parallel I'd have a full 1200 watt at 4ohms. Muhuhahaahahahaah.