I wish for a new bass, have around $2000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kosko, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Ok, so I was thinking David Pushic, but then I came across this site. There's obviously many complaints about him, and some praises as well, but in the price range I don't want to chance mistakes.

Now here's what I'd like:

Bartolini Electronics (All)
    ABM bridge
    5 layer BODY (Curly Koa / Maple / Wenge / Maple / Koa)
    I would want the edges sanded away exposing the various layers.
    7 piece NECK (Macassar Ebony / Maple / Bubinga / Maple / Bubinga / Maple / Ebony )
    Ebony fretboard
    POSSIBLY LEDs ran in the neck (I know it looks tacky but I really do play in a lot of dark rooms, and it seems like it'd help)
    To top it off, elegance, curves and a bass you can lust after for years and years.

I've looked at Ken Smith basses and those are just phenomenal, but, a bit too expensive. The most I'd like to spend is 1500, but I could be pushed further fairly easily.

Any suggestions? It was TalkBass that made me reconsider DP. Maybe you can help me consider something else. Maybe I'm dreaming about all those features for under 2k, but maybe I'm not. I'm looking for something really special, a wish bass. I'm open to criticism on wood and part choices as well, really I just want some feedback and suggestions, thanks to everyone.
  2. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Oh, I almost forgot the most important part. I'm playing through an Ampeg Classic head and an Ampeg 6 x 10 cabinet. I'm looking for a real low tight B growl, and sweet clear highs. Really pretty much everything were all looking for I suppose. I play a lot of slap, funk, rock and classical. That may or may not help, but please post away.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All those options for $1500? Doubt it.
  4. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Yeah, me too... I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction. I'm not opposed to spending more, its just what I'd LIKE to spend :)
  5. Demens

Apr 23, 2005
    Waco, Texas
    I have a Warmoth Gecko 5 I built for around that much... not with all the bells and whistles you want though.

Still a great deal for the money though. Might want to check them out.
  6. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    For those options and features, I hope you've got some deep pockets.
    You may want to talk to Chris Stambaugh about this concept. He's a highly reputable luthier who would give you a very realistic price for something like this.
    Good luck!
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'd also talk to Chris Benavente. You'd be surprised, plus he can do that LED thing.
  8. gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    You might want to check out this. I found it on ebay.
    New Bass

Good luck :p
  9. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Lecompte might be able to do that, but I'd pass an e-mail by him first.

Great designs, and he's had nothing but good reviews.

good luck.

10. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    +1 For Lecompte. Great quality and extremely affordable.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003

Give Chris a call. Very cool guy with the talent to boot!

Stambaugh Designs
  13. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    well...you could always go with this -

14. SharkB8

May 29, 2002

Not sure on the price (although you may get relatively close, sans leds)...but lust is the name of the game on these....

The wait is long though....and you are AFTER me. :p
  15. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    I recommend Chris Stambaugh of Stambaugh Designs. Here: http://www.stambaughdesigns.com
    I think you have the best chance of getting all the cool stuff through him for the budget you have. I have two Stambaughs now and he's just about finished with my third. There are others in this forum that would probably agree with me.
  16. If I may interject, LED's are going to up your price at least a grand if you do it right (SIM's). You may want to consider skipping those.
  17. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    I totally agree. Do a Stambaugh search here on the forum. You'll see lots of positive reviews.

Good luck,

18. +1

I always thought (although tacky looking IMO) that LED's would be very helpfull at times......But to justify upwards of $1000 for them? No way.
    There are some cheap kits and whatnot that people install on basses, but it's more like using some glue and an old string of Christmas lights. :D

Also, unfortunatly, as some have mentioned already, finding all that stuff for $1500 is going to be impossible.(for something good, or even worth playing) For a custom with your options, I would guess more in the 5-8 grand range.
    Check Jerzy Drozd's site. Some crazy awsome stuff there with crazy prices. (they are worth it though.....so I'm told :crying: )
  19. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    or be patient a shop here for a pre-loved one.

wait that didnt come out right ,...
  20. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Wow, you guys are more than helpful. I wish I had found Talkbass a long long time ago. I really truly appreciate it.