1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I wish he woulda listened.......*semi-long story*

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by splitcoilsenior, Sep 23, 2010.

1. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Well...after finally getting a rig loud enough that sounds good. I decide it's a good idea to lend my rig (Referb. Acoustic B410, Ampeg B2RE) to my friends who's in my band (but also plays bass for another band). I haven't know the guy for that long....maybe a month a or two, but he seems like a trustworthy guy.

So I told him the maximum limit to put the amp on, how to set it up and everything, and let him borrow it, and he's off. Sadly, I forgot to give him the correct power cable to the amp head, but did not realize it. I'm guessing he used a random one, which is bad? (Correct me if i'm wrong).

He goes to the show and plays with the volume at about....5' o clock (about 2 "hours" higher than I told him):rollno:, and the gain on 9 'clock (5 "hours" higher than I told him):scowl:. One thing I also forgot is that he plays with a low B.

So about a week ago we go to practice (first time using rig again), and I turn it on (with the correct power cable), and the first thing I notice, even with a low volume, is this farting/creaking/crackling/booming/terrible sound coming from the amp. I have no idea what's wrong, the cab or the amp head.

Could anybody tell me what the problem is? Cab or Head?
    :confused:
    :help:

EDIT: This guy is my friend, I'm not really mad at him considering he said he'd pay for it. I just want to know what you think is broken, I have my own morals and thoughts on loaning gear, I don't need yours. No disrespect to anybody.

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Sounds like he blew the cabinet.

3. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Is their anyway it could be the head?

4. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    isolate the problem. pair the cab up with another head. if the farting stops, it's the head. if it persists, it's the cab.

hopefully he'll be a stand-up guy and pay to fix whatever it is he broke. i don't care if he didn't have the right power cable (as long as it's a 3 prong with a ground and no shorts in it it'll work, even if it melts because it's underrated), he definitely should not have set the volume louder than you specifically told him to.
    sadly, though, you'll probably have to chalk it up to a learning experience- never loan gear out (without at least a contract). i've learned this the hard way many times (and yet i keep doing it :scowl:)

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Rule NO. 1: Wherever my gear goes, I go. No exceptions.
    Rule No. 2: I don't loan my gear to anyone.

6. Thats my guess too

7. rdpbass

rdpbass Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2005
    Utah
    Learn to say NO, or, I don't think so Scooter

8. some guys will play an amp that is farting out left and right and think it's the greatest sound in the world.....others think that gain and output dimed is just a tad shy of loud enough.....your problem is neither head or cab,it's the loaning out to someone who did not respect you or your gear.....

9. 5port

5port

Oct 14, 2009
    LI,new yawk
    Take off the front cover of the B410. Do not press on the center dust cover but place your fingertips around the center of each speaker and lightly press in and release. The blown speaker will most likely make a scratching noise.

Alternate to just saying no is..."No but I have an old XXbrand 1X15 combo you can use. Just not my main rig".

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    ^This^

Isolate the problem first. Switch out heads, cabs, cables and basses until you know which part has the problem. Between running the levels higher than you said to and thumping some low B I would also guess he blew something in the cab but guesses can get expensive. Find the problem though process of elimination.

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

The cab is more likely to be blown than the head.

But you can swap things around to verify what's bad.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    In a "normal" circumstance it likely is but we don't know if the head was dropped or thrown in a truck. "Power cord" I would assume means what you plug into the wall. In that case it doesn't matter if came with an amp, computer or several other things, they're all the same and it wouldn't matter. If "Power cord" means "speaker cable" and some dude used a guitar cord there instead, that could cause problems.

Or maybe the guy just cranked up too much power/bass and blew a refurbished acoustic 410. I don't know if those things have tweeters or not. If so it "could" just be the tweeter. Kinda hard to diagnose from here.:)

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    As others have said, it's most likely the cabinet that is damaged-probably a blown speaker. But it sounds like you yourself don't know much about using an amplifier. Try to isolate the problem, then take it to a pro to fix. You can't do much fixing yourself without more knowledge. Maybe you'll have to get a speaker replaced.

Learn more about amps so that you also don't damage it in the future.

14. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009

What is up with the talkbass "Old Troll Patrol"? Get lost! The guy did not ask for crap about lending it to a friend he asked what might be wrong with the 1. Head or 2. Cab. PERIOD. If you don't know or don't want to waste precious time to help anyone but yourself, don't psot. If you write any of the above crap you are TROLLING. He has his own life and he doesn't want yours, so unless he asks - please, keep it to yourself, and log off.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    My, my, you are the emotional little teenage girl aren't you?

Yeah, I read the part about don't tell me to not loan out my gear, that's why I didn't bring it up, doesn't mean it's not good advice. Apparently the OP's read that stuff before too but didn't heed warning.

We are telling him what's probably wrong with his stuff, at least as much as can be told by way of screen and keyboard. On this end, it seems his stuff didn't work so he threw his hands in the air and said "help me" without trying to put the brain to work and figure out the what and why. All of this says "young".

Just the fact that you'd consider someone you've known for a month or two a "good friend" displays bad judgement. If it is just "young", no problem there, we were all that way once and we're designed to be, it's not a bad thing but the reason society has progressed beyond the stoneage is because old folks who knew what they were talking about repeated it often enough so every now and then, some young dudes brain would trip a trigger and remember what somebody said who's already been there done that and thus they are a step ahead in life.

Of course there are some things you just have to figure out for yourself no matter how much sense it doesn't make. That's called human, so quit whining.

16. Hi.

I'd side with the "the cab is blown" theory.

There's not much that can damage an amp in a normal playing situation, and mains power cord or exessive gain/volume isn't one of them.

What caught my eye was a refurbished cab.
    What does it mean?
    A factory refurb, DIY refurb with OEM speakers, DIY refurb with improved speakers + cab re-tuning, DIY "refurb" with any speakers that are cheap enough or quality ones, but totally unsuitable for the enclosure.

The method 5port explained is the best way to determine quckly whether the voice coil(s) is rubbing.

IMLE most 410's have a hard time amplifying B, if clarity is required.

Regards
    Sam

17. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I'm guessing at least one blown driver, but need to swap the cab and head in and out with others for easiest confirmation. As to lending rigs - well - I only lend out my relatively expendable Peavey 215 cab (from 1973). Built like a brick outhouse and seemingly invulnerable to mistakes. On the positive side, every time I show up to play that cab (where my band is responsible for furnishing back line for earlier acts), I am amazed at how good that old box sounds. Go figure.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Yup - problem is most likely cab. If so, it's his to fix. Is there any warranty on the cab?

Power cord doesn't matter. Power is power, and as long as it's not such a light cable that it melts, it doesn't matter.

My guess is that aside from volume, he jacked up the bass frequency and by doing that, overpowered the speaker - resulting in a blown speaker.

Connect the head to a different speaker and try it out - then you'll know where the problem lies.

Comment: assuming that 5:00 would have been probably 9 out of 10 on the dial, what in god's name was he doing pushing a 450W head that hard? Trying to soften up a brick wall?

19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    +1 ....

20. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    The problem is the head, not the amp head, yours, for lending it to your "friend". At least he is willing to make good. Saying "no" is the very liberating!