1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"I wish I could play jazz..." Pino/Who content

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Michedelic, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

This is what's posted so far, as of 2/11; Although The Stones have been getting flack for carrying on, and even though I've been a huge Who fan since 1967, I just don't know. Some things sustain themselves better than others. What are they going to call this album, "Who's Buying This"? Still, I love the behind-the-scenes stuff...

G19Tony, ahc, kobass and 1 other person like this.
  2. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I only watched a few minutes or so of one of the clips yet. Pete was always the writer and creator for the who. His demos sound remarkably like the recordings. The who is probably my favourite band of all time. I don’t see why he shouldn’t carry on and create more and why not still use the who name? Is roger involved? Equally Pete could just go by his own name. He’s well enough known. Creators have to create and it’s great that Pete is gifting us with some more music. Pretty different from the stones in that they are almost their own sad tribute band who keep flogging their old stuff that people want to hear.

Looking forward to it!

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

The clips aren't that long, the first is 4 minutes; the rest are less that 2, some less than 1. In that first bit, Pete says that Roger isn't there because he's taking care of some personal business. Sure, Pete can do whatever he wants; he can certainly keep on writing, and putting out those solo albums that nobody listens to. But Endless Wire was quite a disappointment, and I really am not holding my breath on this one; but then again, I could be surprised. Bottom line, in spite of the stellar contributions of Pino and Zak(and Simon), a Who album features Entwistle and Moon. Pete may have written the vast amount of the material, but that band, on a good day, was truly beyond the sum of its parts. This is why "Walking Into Clarksdale" was not a Led Zeppelin album. But even the original line-up could drop the ball..."By Numbers" had plenty of dodgy moments, and "Who Are You", aside from a few key tracks, showed a tired band. Besides "Eminence Front", the less said about "It's Hard" and "Face Dances", the better, but YMMV. There's a lot of tunes on those that should have gone on Pete solo albums but, ironically, "Rough Boys" should have been a Who song. I personally feel that they should have packed it in after "Quadrophenia", but yeah, what were all of them going to do afterwards? Besides solo albums...
    I'm not saying that the Stones didn't jump the shark by 1973(yeah, 'Sucking in the Seventies', that hit the nail on the head)but then they had put out almost three times the material than The Who by that time. Plus, they did occasionally redeem themselves. Entirely different band chemistries as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I totally can’t argue with you there.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    If Pete and Roger are happy doing what they do, then I'm happy.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I'd rather see a band that is only 50% original than back in the day trying to create new music than just touring and making money off of nostalgia. Looking at you, Queen. Not that I'd want to hear new music from Queen because without Freddy, it's not the same band.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021