Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I wish i had a cool nickname

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderx55, Dec 18, 2005.

1. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i wish I had a cool name like slash or duff or the edge or flea. How did sting become sting without everyone looking at him saying, "cha okay GORDON!"

Not that i have anything against my name. I like chris, despite the fact that if someone sneezes on the street it kind of sounds like they're calling to me.

But there's a certain mystery involved in a stage name that becomes your name. Bono calls edge, edge; Anthony doesn't call flea michael, and I'm damn sure that trudy doesn't scream "gordon" at night...if you know what i mean. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

2. how about snarf?

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    The tick? :eyebrow:

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    The edge is definitly not a cool nickname.

5. Here is the sting story:

He showed up to a gig, or practise multiple times wearing a sweatshirt that was yellow and black striked like a bee and thus they said he looked like he would "Sting"

I walked into a party about 2 years ago, and my friends started calling me FreeSpirit. And it has stuck ever since. It is a nickname i like, cause well im vegan and dont really have too many cares about too much, so thus it stuck and its one i like. I wouldn't mind being called freespirit for my life it doesn't seem to have any negativity around it.

So there are my two stories. I wouldn't mind knowing how Flea got his nickname...anyone? :bassist:

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised if anthony calls flea, michael... Behind closed doors.

Victor doesn't call roy, futureman... well... not always.

7. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer

not to be confused with shnarf , which of course is barking like a small animal ;)

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    A popular nickname in Mississippi is "Scooter." Also popular is using your middle name as a first name. I believe Page does that.

Adam Jay Barkley = Jay. Not so much.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You should demand that everyone refer to you as "Pen 15"... it's catchy. Makes you sound like a movie star.

10. People always call me by my full name, I think that's even cooler than a nickname, everyone knows the legendary "Todd Stanley" in my town and when they see me on the street they all say "Hey it's Todd Stanley!" and introduce their friends, or if people meet me and I say "Hey, I'm Todd Stanley" they get that surprised look and say "you're Todd Stanley?! I've heard about you". Too bad I'm known more for running downtown naked and other such stuff rather than being a bassist though.

11. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Fnord.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Actually self applied nicknames are laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. There was this kid in the dorms, when I met him he said, "call me dragon"... I didn't call him anything. OOoooh, he had a dragon on the back of his coat. I only like nicknames if they sound cool and have meaning. There was a kid who went by the name skittle because he was fat (round) like a skittle........ laaaaaaaaaaaame.

I don't introduce myself as such, but one time when I left a note for my friend, I signed it "Cat Thrill" and she thought it was hilarious... now people call me Cat or Cat Thrill sometimes. It doesn't stick because I don't force it down people's throats. Nicknames need to be forced to stick, which is usually lame.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have had many stupid names stuck to me, and a couple of okay ones. They mostly fall off eventually, But it may require moving to a different city and/or getting a new job.

Playing football in high school,and being a big guy, and having the habit of making a growling/grunting noise coming up off the line...apparently = 'Bear'

Somehow 'Bear' morphed into 'Critter.' and that one took a while to get rid of.

While in the Navy, a reputation for wierd luck.(ie: remaining unhurt while doing dangerous stuff, but getting hurt often doing 'safe' stuff,) got me pegged 'Mojo', as in a good luck charm.

After the Navy, I discovered that in some slang, such as apparently the kind familiar to one of our Nigerian co-workers, Mojo apparently meant 'penis'. This was a problem.

A friend would come to me often when he was stuck working on lyrics, Somehow I could always 'fix' whatever was making him stumped. He nicknamed me 'Bardman' (THis was around the time of the Simpsons "Do The Bartman" thing.) That's where Bard2dbone comes from.

A girlfriend who was very into several assorted philosophies (I couldn't keep them straight.) called me 'Seeker'. I was surprised to discover that several of her friends knew me only that way. But there are definitely worse names than 'Seeker.'

My nickname at the folk music festival where I like to work is 'Ziggy' because without a beard I apparently look like the little guy in the cartoon.

The only ones of these I still get called iare (mostly) Bard and Ziggy. Although I saw someone last week who remembered me as Seeker.

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    This seemed to start w/ the Punk/New Wave movement. I was happy in the 70's when people used real names. I always found it kinda egotistical. But that's just me. :)
    My real name is Tim, I have had a few nicknames assigned to me at vaious times in my like: Termite, Timbo, Hollywood. But none of them stuck. I'm glad.
    AxtoOx I came up w/ when I started swiching from guitar to bass. I was to uninformed to know bass palyers called their instuments Axes also. I just kept using it.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nicknames have to be given to you, otherwise they suck. That Dragon guy...I'd have kicked him in the sack!

BTW, I like the nickname The Edge. It's about the only thing I like about U2 anymore. And that name was given to him because of his pointy nose.

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Yeah but they can still suck, even if they are given to you. For example, re-read my post and notice 'Critter.'

I rest my case.

17. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    One of my brother's friend's name is Axe. Cool. I have no idea how it started. His name is Andrew.

I get called Fish a bit (surname is Fisher), but I don't like it. And it ain't anything original.

Back at school, there was a guy named Chris who was called Fa (pronounced Far - the aussie way, without over-emphasising the 'r'). It was basically the ending of his name - Christopher (Christo-far). I always thought this was pretty original and interesting. You could do the same...but it might end up being Fur :confused:

maybe not... :meh:

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Speaking of unoriginal names that go along with certain last names...I used to play with a guitarist named Keith "Don't Call Me Flash" Gordon.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If someone dislikes the nickname forced upon them, it can improve a nickname by 50%. So Critter, while not a very good nickname in and of itself, was great because you didn't like it!

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hmmm

All throughout highschool I've been "Peepers," among (many) others. That and "Boobess"* are the top runners right now.

Thank god "Castanza" and a couple other ones kind of fell off after grade 11...