Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I WISH I had build this one ;-)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JP Basses, Oct 7, 2002.

1. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    but I've not...

This one could be the "JT signature" bass :D

Can you guess who the builder is? (yeah I now, it's quite simple!)

[​IMG]

Specs:
    7 strings
    spalted maple body
    maple neck
    purpleheart fingerboard
    3 schaller "P" pickups

JP

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Looks like a Wishnevsky to me...that 'control' plate is a dead giveaway :)

3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    We've got a quick winner...

Pickup routing was also a good clue ;)

JP

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh dear gawd...

5. Beautful P/U to string placement. I think MAYBE two strings would tone correctly. And what the hell is a that idea? Humbucker and a half? Wouldn't it buzz like a bee?

And way to sacrifice intonation for "creative" bridge placement.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

:p

yeah, what he said...

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Dear Lord, I hope that thing has a truss rod!

That man should be stopped!!!! I weep for every High Bidder :(

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I think that would be in great in my blues band. Good lord I wouldn't even know where to begin

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    JT's secret commission? Let us know how it plays JT!

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Why does he insist on using that ugly metal control cover every time! That is the ugliest aspect of all of his basses (and that's saying a LOT!). My theory is that he buys canned chili in bulk (which he eats for lunch and dinner every day) and every time he opens a can he throws the top of the can in a big box marked "control covers."

As for the pickups...it's more like p-bass and a half. What poor p-bass did he rape and pillage to get those pups. If you see someone playing a pbass with half a pickup let him know who stole his other half. Maybe he'll end this lunacy.

As for the spalted maple body...that's one sad lookin' piece 'o spalted maple (you thought I was gonna say "piece 'o" something else didn't you). Looks like it tried to spalt but was stifled under the crushing weight of a roomful of wolf brand induced flatulence.

Well, that's my two cents,
    brad cook

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wonder what the warranty is going to be when the body falls apart - spalted maple is rotting, i don't think it's a good idea to make a whole body from it.

also, i think i spotted my first actual straight edge on a wish bass - check out the edge of the fretboard. i wonder if he actually measured that.

still looks like a cutting board from junior high school shop class for the short bus kids.

13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    My eyes hurt... my head hurts...

wow...

:eek:

At least you don't have to worry about muting the third string- looks like it is physically out of range of _any_ of the three half pickups. It won't even sound.

14. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    And what about those white dots below and to the right of the control cover (and a few other places)? Are they wood filler? Gouges from dropped tools? Reflections from the highly polished surface (doubtful!)? Huge chunks of dandruff?

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

During load-out about 2:30am on Sunday I saw wood that looked just like that........same "finish", everything.

It had about 20 cases of Heineken on it, (a.k.a. "a loading pallet").

16. And to add insult to injury, those end strings are mighty close to the end of the fretboard.

I kinda like it :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ahh...everything is coming together now. The body used to be plain old maple, but after sitting in the gaseous Wolf Brand confines of the mad scientist's lair it started to "spalt" (rot) on it's own. :D
    (if this is confusing to you then see my earlier post)

brad cook

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sheesh you're right!! Are those even over the fretboard? Are they usable strings??

brad cook

19. The bass building horror thread!

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al

The body on my FBB is made of Spalted Maple, and it's just fine. FANTASTIC bass.

LMAO!! That's pretty damn funny. Just what I needed between mid-terms. (I HATE Catholic College!)