Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I won an original Ampeg SVT-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lo-end, Jan 16, 2006.

1. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
  2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    You might want to play that SVP-CL, through the SVT-II power amp.

You might like it better, or you might not care, but the two preamps are not the same.

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I didn't know it was possible to do that. As far as I know the SVT-II doesn't have a thing to plug directly into the power amp. It is not the new pro series one, it's the old school SVT-II.

4. Fuzzhead

Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    Australia
    It's got a preamp out and power amp in on the back. I was looking at that too!

5. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    That is a bit steep. You can use the preamp into it. I hope you like it...

6. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
  7. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Anyone know if these amps come with any sweet capacitors that could kill a man

I heard the original SVT does

8. 1up_SVT

1up_SVT

Jan 15, 2006
    Im pretty sure they will, well, going by the fact it takes a few seconds to disipate the power and you can still make a fair bit of noise

I wouldnt go poking around inside one without knowing what was going on!

9. where's I got a mowhawk when you need him - He's forever going on about his, so I'm sure he could answer all of your questions

10. timv

timv Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Chandler, AZ
    Basically any tube amp has voltages inside that could be stored and kill you. The SVT II has around 660 or 675 volts for the B+. If you are going to explore the inside, unplug the amp and turn both the power and stand by on to drain all the stored voltage for a half hour or so. Most things I have read put this amp above and modern SVT but not as good as a vintage one.

11. Whoopysnorp

Whoopysnorp

Feb 5, 2006
    My SVT-II looks just like that. I got mine in an SKB case from a friend for $550--pretty much my best deal ever. He had never changed the tubes in 10 years, though, so I did have to take care of that. Congrats on the amp, I love mine.