1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I won, I won! (P bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I won the Evilbay auction on this P Bass.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=330063647881&rd=1&rd=1

It has the mods I would generally do as well as the color I was looking for. I'm not sure why he put a pickguard screw right in the middle of the pickguard though. It would probably catch a finger nail while slapping, no big deal to remove. I have never seen a black Badass bridge. It's kinda cool looking. I think I got a good deal considering it comes with a hard case, new set of strings, and he is including the original pickup. I am surprised nobody else bid on this bass. (The second bid was me increasing my highest incremental bid by $25)

Question? This is an '04 I believe. Does it have the same nitro finish as the newer Highway series? I seem to remember that they used to call it "satin" finish. I know it does not have the graphite in the neck which I won't miss due to the additional weight.

I considered the Highway P's and the Lakland Skyline Glaub. Although I would probably rather have a Glaub (and still hope to someday) I figure I saved a few hundred bucks which is always nice. I know it is commonly said that every bass player needs at least one P bass, now I have 2... Anyway, Merry Christmas to me!

2. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    great catch.. I owned a P bass Highway and I was very happy with it.. unfortunately cash problems forced me to sell it....
    but one day I think that I would purchase it again...

congrats

3. Micolao

Micolao

Sep 7, 2005
    Italy
    the body seems really shiny to be an highway...maybe it's the pic
    anyway congrats!!!

it really seems my P before I added the MM pu and so many other things...

4. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch. Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    congrats on a sweet looking bass....not a bad price either....I've got a black BADA$$ on one of my Ps. If you ever want to unload that QP holler at me.....but I doubt you will...they're super great pups....IMO of course....

5. The older HWY 1 have a satin poly finish, not the nitro of newer models. That's a beautiful looking bass the HWY 1 is a great series.

7. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Sweet!!
    Funny coincidence, I just won a MIM P in the same exact color/pickguard combo and I was planning on popping a quarter pounder in it.

Maybe the extra screwhole is for a thumbrest or something? the older ones were attached by a single screw.

8. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis

It's a classic looking color combo for a P bass, no doubt. Depending on how this one sounds compared to my other P, I may try dropping a Darkstar p/u in one of them. I have heard that the Highway series has a swimming pool style rout under the pickguard which would make it an easy mod. I want to see what all the hype is about. Being a single coil I am wondering if the Darkstar is noisy though...I have had 1/4 Pounders another P bass and they sound really good.

9. basslines and badass...a winning combination no doubt.

10. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    For sure!

11. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    That screw in the middle of the pickguard is normally found on 70's fenders (p's and j's) the top of the pickguard usually has 2 holes where a thumbrest came installed. I dont know if the highway one series comes with 70's pickguard pattern or not, but it would make sense seeing as though they put the 70's headstock logo on them.