1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I wondering about this bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yamdigame, Apr 23, 2006.

1. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hi all,
    Im new here, and up until i came into your formed I had my heart set on a Wishbass, but after looking through the forums I decided that wouldn;t be my best bet. I then saw this bass, and thought of started my own project, with pups bridge and such. Any ideas on this bass, i mean I know its not going to be a Fodera, but wondering if it's worth it.
    Thanks Garret

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Have you ever done fretwork? That's one of my biggest concerns. You'd need to sand it, finish it, etc. The build quality doesn't look bad, but then again the pictures really aren't the best to work with.

3. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I wouldn't trust buying somebody's home project without knowing anything about the quality of their work.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    While I understand your desire for a custom bass at a good price, I think that you're not on the road to happiness here. There's one thing more dicey than risking a Wish or Pushic bass it's buying an unfinished project body on ebay.

Spend some time looking at the decent 'budget' custom builders, spends some time looking at some of the nice second hand customs that are for sale around here...and while you're spending that time, save up a bit more for a bass that you won't be dissapointed in.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, they have pretty good feedback so far. One thing to consider is that you might want a bolt-on neck for this sort of project, because if there's anything wrong with the neck on this one you're kind of hosed, since the seller is in Brazil.

6. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks guys, yeah I work in a furniture store so i can finish it and everything, and do fret work, I might be keeping it fretless though. Any ideas on budget custom builders?

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Try "Winters Custom" if you head over to the Sputnik forums you will find the luthier himself under the name of either "JPBass" or "Navybass".

From what I have heard and see (not actually had a chance to play his stuff) he makes great basses for very decent prices.

The following website is being designed for him by one of the other memebers on Sputnik forums but should give you an idea and hopefully some contact info.

http://24.158.212.132/winters/

EDIT: You could also try the following, its his member profile

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/profile.php?memberid=119681