Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I would like some Tapping advice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Feb 13, 2005.

1. I am a pretty good bassist and i slap and tap and play finger style. Then I listened to the song Addicted to that rush from Mr.Big and in the begining (not the trills) there is a tap bass line that follows the guitars and i wold like advice on how to play it thanks. I'm not asking for tab I'm asking for proper tapping technigue to play it

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The best I can tell you is that Billy Sheehan had a set of two instruction videos that were published in the early 1990s. On the first of the videos, Sheehan goes into quite a bit of detail as to how he developed his tapping technique. He demonstartes how he taps. As those videos may no longer be available or maybe you can get them used, I will tell you what I can remember.

Sheehan always carves grooves into the fretboard under the D and G strings near the body of his bass, not at the head of the bass. I had one of his Yamaha Attitude Deluxe styled basses at one time--a beauty-- and it had those grooves carved in it. He uses the grooves to faciliate string bending.

He has big hands with long fingers. The four string bass has a wide fretboard, but he can really bend those strings with his fingers.

He says his tapping is much easier than the resulting complex sound would indicate, but I never thought it was all that easy. Plus, he has strong fingers, so the tapping can be heard. One problem with tapping is that it may not be as loud as the rest of your playing if you don't have the strength to really get the volume.

Oh, another piece of advice he has is wear your bass high. In other words, when you sit and when you stand up, the bass should be the same height. He would not reccommend wearing a bass as low as , say, Duff McKagan does, because you will not have the control to tap or bend strings.

Anyway, the tapes come with some excerpts from music Sheehan has played with Talas and Mr. Big and I think "Addicted to That Rush" may be on it, though I am not sure, because I lost the transcripts long ago. It is a fabulous passage, the tapping on that song. I really liked it when I used to listen to that album.

I know that there is a Cherry Hill book that has all the transcripts of the music from that Mr. Big album because I had it at one time. It does tell the exact notes tapped, but it does not show how to do the actual tapping. I feel that if you can get a hold of Sheehan's instruction videos, that will be your best bet.

3. Check this guy too ~ Stu Hamm

I work both hands (with a metronome or drum machine) and try to achieve some level of consistency between the notes. Everyone that's really good at it is very accurate with the hammering.