I would like to celebrate...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    ...my first anniversary with a love affair that will hopefully last the remainder of my life here on earth. And then some.

About 1.5 years ago, I had no clue there was such a thing as a bass guitar. I knew of upright bass (I was a violin player 5 years priar to my move) but had no clue there was such a thing as bass guitar.

Eventually, I began to realize that there WAS a low-end coming from music and I began to notice that "other guy" in all the music videos with his little 4 stringer.

I figuered, "Ha, what a reject. Can't even play normal guitar." But eventually, that low end got to me. And I got interested.

Soo.. eventually, I went to my friends, inquiring whether any of them owned a bass guitar. Luckily, I found one, and I proceeded to borrow it for "thanksgiving weekend". At first I had no amp. I didn't care too much, I was finally playing a bass.

From my first gimpy steps through some simple System of a Down songs, I got around to stealing my friend's guitar amp and proceeding to almost blow it out. Eventually he realized this and stole it back.

My other friend, whos bass I still had, 3 months after that first thanksgiving weekend, came back on me, demanding his bass back. What could I do? I gave it back (DAMN MORALES), so, that same day, I called everyone I knew, and found another bass.

Drove over that night and "borrowed" that one.

Ampless, and with a Bently Series 10 bass (Im convinced its the only one in existance) I plugged away, from tab to tab, learning my licks.

Got started in the dredges of playing with bands, playing Blink 182. Eventually, I realized, that this couldn't POSSIBLY be music. So, I started looking further.

Joined a metal band. Started re-learning the theory I had lost after dropping the violin. Started learning jazz, and started saving my dough to get instruments of my own.

Well, to this day, Im still playing through that "borrowed" Bently. Eventually, I found another friend who had quit bass and gave me his Minx 110 Peavey 12" amp.

I have yet to buy any of my own equipment except for a cord, and Im going strong :D

To become better rounded my dad and I went out and picked up an acoustic guitar and I "borrowed" (see a trend? Yes, I am Jewish) my friend electric that he no longer uses.

So here I am. 1 year later. Saving up for my bass and my amp, and hopefully, finally, getting some lessons, so I can play more than "Night Train" and slap more than "Higher Ground".

I picked up bass, thinking it was one of those hobby things that I'd get over in a week or two. I figuered I'd get sick of the stupidity hidden behind these 4 strings. Boy, was I wrong.

I find it damn near impossible to get through a day without hearing that low end coming from somewhere around me. I have my bass right next to my bed, so whenever I wake up, I can grab it and fiddle around, whether Im fully or awake or in a drunken-like stupor.

I love it all the same.

I was going to hold out this message until Thanksgiving, but a certain e-mail pushed my love for this over the brim and I felt I needed to express my thank yous.

My recent post about BassNW, I had praised a Sadowsky 4 that I had played. Well, today, I received an e-mail from Roger Sadowsky (automated or not, I don't care, I assume most people have gotten one of these).

It made no difference to me how it got to me, or how many people got it. All I can say is Im Proud.

God damn, I am so freaking proud to be part of such a great community filled with so many great people.

I love bass. And I thank everyone of you for helping me keep that love and turning it into a burning passion. I may be a poor teenager, without a single scrap of my own bass equipment, but I love it all the same.

I hope to play this until the day I die, and so help me, I will.

I wanted to thank you all for everything, whether you know me or not, or even care. Thanks.

1 year down. Eternity to go :)

-Mark Simon Kogan
  2. Roger Sadowsky's emails are usually written by him. He is known worldwide for his expertise, the quality of his product, AND the fact that he actually takes the time to keep in touch with bass players everywhere. Even if he didn't make such a great instrument, he would still be one of the treasures of the electric bass community.
  3. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Even more pleasant to know. Thank you very much Roger.

And you too Funky. You've been a huge help to me :)
  4. Sure thing. Always glad to help out people who have the love.

By the way, get an MTD!
  5. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    I plan on getting a 535 the second I can afford one. I hear the spacing is exactly what I like. Wish I lived in Florida so I could skip on down to Bass Central and give one a try.

BassNW only gets like 2 in a year :\
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Congrats on the celebration Noobai... Good to hear you are in love... but I don't think you are allowed to say GD on here...
  7. I seem to recall railing against what an effects thread had become (what effect does bandplaying bassist use?), pontificating that TB is to encourage. Well, damn, if this thread isn't just a perfect example of what I was talking about! Mr. Moderator(s), please don't edit one single character here! I believe that every poster on this thread so far has expressed themselves legitimately and from the heart. That's what good music should be.

Edit--It wouldn't be me if I didn't champion Warwick here. Try one and you'll be fighting the disease forever.
  8. hey noobai, where in WA do you live?
  9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm going to toss in my opinion here and say to try an F bass. They are incredible to say the least...

I'm going to be contrary here and say go ahead and also try a warwick because when you do you will want to run far far away....

10. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Leroy: I live in Olympia :)

As to Warwicks. I used to be obsessed with them. Until I realised I couldnt stand their 4 strings and their 5 string spacing was waaaay too narrow.

Now if they made the Streamer Stage II with a broad neck, I'd be all over it :D
  11. Olympia, Eh? Redmond. Rock.

12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

13. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ahhh I see I have pushed the buttons of a warwick fan. I meant nothing personal by my comment, I just happen to think warwicks are crud. ;)

Just my opinion...if people like them, that's awesome.
  14. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    "I just want to celebrate, another day of livin'....."

man, I saw the title of this thread and I thought it was going to be about Rare Earth...
  15. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
  16. s7on3d

Jun 26, 2002
    Ra'anana, Israel
    I think the SS1 comes with a broadneck option....

and P.S. i'm also jewish...

17. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Pat, I live in Kirkland.

We're practically neighbors.. although, one of my neighbors is an evil bastard and they keep calling King County's finest whenever I have a rehearsal at my house... that's not you is it? :D

18. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    Ahh true love, it is a wondeful thing to see in a person;) :D

Can't really give you any suggestions about what bass to get, so get one of everything and you should be alright. Also hello from Kennewick, in the southeastern part of the state.
  19. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    So this mean's my car 75R.I. jazz is safe? Just keep on playing and you bass or basses will become your best friend. You may not understand what I mean right now but If you stay with it you will understand.
  20. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Your bass will never be safe Pyrohr :mad: