I would like to get a new strap to attain a higher level of comfort while playing...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't want anything hella fancy. All I want is a plain black leather strap. Comfortable. No ugly design or huge logo on it. I mean a Yamaha or Peavy bass would look dumb with a Fender strap... maybe. Hopefully fairly cheap. I don't want a GUITAR strap, the kind that have only 4 height settings. So to review...

1) Cheap
    2) Plain Black Leather
    3) Maybe some kind of padding
    4) Not ugly
    5) Adjustable height, not those crappy accoustic guitar kind.

Also, I've got straplocks on my current strap... but I don't know how to take them off... can I? I think they are the dunlop kind.
  2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

What is your definition of cheap? I like my Levy's strap.
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i dig my levy's strap too...it was about 50 bucks, though...well, 45 or so...it's thick, padded and 3 inches wide. they make nicer ones, but i've had mine for 5 years or so.
  4. Ditto. I paid something like 35$CDN about 6 years ago and it still serves me well. It's 3.5" wide and padded, plain black. And yes, most straplocks can be removed quite easily by unscrewing them.
  5. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    some straplocks (like the dunlops) just require that the little c-clip thingy be popped off...nothing to it. it's a real munky to get the dunlop locks onto a thick padded strap, though...JEEZ!
  6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    NEOTECH makes bass straps that are black and padded, but are made out of gell padding in the middle, they make my bass much lighter, and are discrete.
  7. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I've got the Levy's M6 [3 1/2 inch. wide, black, padded] from Bass North West for i think around $40 shipped. I use schaller strap locks. This strap has lasted a while and i don't see it dieing anytime soon. Thats all
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Them normal black Erine Ball straps work mighty fine.

If you aint no WUSS, like my son over there...

Him and his "Automobiles" and his "Indoor Plumbing" and his "Hair Shampoo".

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm gonna look into Levy's... you guys seem to be giving pretty good reviews.

Jared: I was hoping 40 or under... I saw some pretty steep ones at the store. Like 70 bucks... but that's because they were seatbelts :rolleyes: I should rip one out of an old junkyard car and make it into a strap...

For now I'm going to look into Levy's... do they have a site or should I check out musicians friend or something of that sort.
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey Matt. I might have one I can send you for free. Tell me what you are looking for exactly and I will see if I think it's something you'll like.
  11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Ok actually I have one levy's strap and one that is not levy's, but is the exact same dimensions. It's leather it just doesnt have as much thickness or padding in the strap. They are both about equally comfortable though (the skinnier one makes more contact with your back I think). If you want to try one of them let me know and I'll send it off to you for free when I get a chance (I would choose which one I keep of course ;) ).
  12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i gave away a freakin' BOMB levy's strap...it was one of the really wide padded leather ones with the velcro length adjustment...it was too long, though :( shoulda posted this earlier, man...i would be throwin' straps at ya like mr. jared here
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    No matt, I can't play that one, but if you hum a few bars I could prolly pick it up.
  14. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I went to Guitar Center looking for a levy's, but i was hesitant to spend 50 bucks on it. I found a nice, 3in wide, sort of padded leather strap, and it was only $25. I'll find out the brand when i get home.
  15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Carvin's high end strap is pretty decent. Nylon with leather ends and adjustable.
  16. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Another vote for Levy's. I used to use the cheap-ass $8 nylon straps and my shoulder was really starting to hate me (especially with the sixer)... but the Levy was WAAAAY more comfortable.
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wow thanks. When you've got things figured out on your end, send me a PM. :)
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The title of my thread became a lot fancier. :ninja: