Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i would like to knowsome examples of the loudest cabinets spl wise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lovepump69, May 25, 2005.

1. lovepump69

lovepump69

Dec 14, 2004
    springfield MO
    i would like to know what cabinets are the loudest i have already heard that eden 410 cabs are 106 dbs what are some others....?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well there is more than SPL

typically speakers are rated at the dB SPL they produce at 1 watt at 1 meter at 1 KHz. That presents a bit of a problem as 1 K isnt exactly the most useful frequency of the bass guitar. the other frequencies can be all over the map. even cabs with stated tolerances of +/- 3dB over a given frequency range can vary in voicing (and they might exaggerate the response a tad) :ninja:

to me, the voicing of a cab tells a bigger story than just the rated SPL. and to make matters more complicated, you may prefer a specific "sound" over another making a cabinet that seems louder than another simply not appeal to you.

FWIW, billfitzmaurice's horn cabs are supposedly quite loud indeed

3. lovepump69

lovepump69

Dec 14, 2004
    springfield MO
    ok then just give me your takes on the loudest speakers you have heard or play, and where i might find some of those......

4. lovepump69

lovepump69

Dec 14, 2004
    springfield MO
    actually cabinets not speakers

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Jorg Schroeder's cabs are among the loudest that I have heard for their size.

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I look at it that SPL ratings really only tell you how *easy* it is to get loud. For example, I found the Acme B2, a very ineffecient cab, can get very very loud, You just need a lot of power to do it. But the EA CXL-112 can get loud with much less power.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Eden XLT, Golaith III, Aggie GS410 are all very loud 4x10s (~106db SPL). Of couse going to an even bigger cab of simmilar design with yeild more sound: Aggie GS412, Goliath SR, Eden D-610 or D-810XLT. But a pair of 4x10s is usually easier to haul around than an 8x10, especially if the gig has stairs :scowl:

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    True, but if you've already got a certain head, speaker efficiency (and EQ) will determine your max SPL.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Oh, no argument here. I didn't buy the Acme even though I loved the sound because I *literally* had to crank the amp to 10! My poor little iAMP 500 just didn't cut it.

I did think about getting a power amp though.....

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Based on the original poster's handle I'm pretty sure his amp goes to 11.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    How about considering dispersion with frequency once?

On-axis frequency response and efficiency measurements can be - and aften are - BOGUS for real-world application of a bass cab, especially when horizontal mid and high freq dispersion is doubly-wrecked due to side-by-side cone orientation. My JBL JRX125 cab (two fifteens and a relatively large, 1"-throat horn - all in a VERTICAL alignment) is rated 100dB efficient; that's not bad to start with, but it maintains its efficency over a wider range of frequencies for off-axis listeners!

MOST listeners are off-axis, as we all know.

Joe

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

+1

Loudest for their size I have ever heard.

Guys, Tom owns over 500 speaker cabinets, so he knows what he is talking about!:D

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, not quite that many, but I am working on it! :p

14. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    The loudest cab I ever came across (Owned one back in the day.) was an Acoustic 408. With 4 x 15 inch speakers it was LOUD. Two 15's facing forward and between them a (roughly) 9 inch high compartment with two more 15's, one facing down and one facing up. That sucker moved air and I'd compare it to anything out there today. Mine had Cerwin Vega speakers. I recall there was a warning label on the back saying something to the effect that if you stand within 20 feet of it you could be subjected to 120 db. Hype? Maybe, but the cab was for real. You can check 'em out here http://acoustic360.homeunix.net/index2.html

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There is also the difference between true volume and percieved volume. Many cabs that have higher distortion will seem louder, as distortion is in the more accute range of human hearing. If you see 2 cabs that have similar efficiency rating and one is percievably louder than the other, you can chalk it up to distortion.

Dimin

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    If you do look at the scenario where you have all the power that you could possibly want, and it is an issue of what cab(s) will put out the most clean SPL's before distorting/overloading/farting out/crying for Mamma, then I must say that in my experience, that title goes to a stack of two EA VL-210's. While these are only of average efficiency (and they are not as inefficient as some people might think - they just sound better with more power behind them), I have yet to find their limits (at least with SS amps). I used to run two VL-210's powered by my PLX 3002 in bridged mono (3,000 watts), and the sound levels were devastating, but entirely clear and articulate, with no signs of stress (from the cabs, at least - the rest of the band seemed a bit frightened!). With my Crest CA9, the effect is even more dramatic. Now, with a high powered tube amp (like an Aguilar DB 728), you can get the VL-210's to jump around a little more than they like, but with a boatload of clean power, I haven't heard anything to surpass them.

BUT, with a given, lower powered amp or head, one Schroeder 1212 will most definitely be louder than one VL-210.

Hope this helps, Tom.

17. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    So the cabinet design couldn't be another factor in that difference?

18. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    For what its worth I had a Goliath senior cab that was a great monitor because It was so loud on stage. All I had to power it was an SM-500 and it was bone crunching loud, however it didnt have the depth I was looking for. :meh:

19. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    if you throw some ripe carrots really fast at a thin walled cab im sure it can get pretty loud.

:ninja:

other than that the bite of the aluminum coned hartke's ive heard have gotten pretty loud but i never liked them

sounds like the guys in the schroeder thread all dumped really big rigs for those little loud guys, so i'd bet on them

20. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Aguilars get pretty damn loud. So do Bergies.