1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I would love some feedback on my ear training videos

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by natobasso, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Very important

71.4%
  2. Sort of important

14.3%
  3. I don't care either way

14.3%
  1. Ok, it's time to bite the bullet and put this to my esteemed colleagues here at talkbass forum. Please have a look at my site and videos here and let me know what you think:

Videos | Hear Theory

My aim is to get musicains to "Play what you hear, and learn to hear better". I'm travelling for 2 years and don't have my bass with me, but do have a keyboard, so the videos aren't bass focused, but I think that's actually a good thing; when I started playing by ear I was 11 and had a clarinet in my hand. :)

Let me know what you think, what can I improve on and am I teaching you something?

Correlli likes this.
  2. I just listened to episode 11. It is very hard for us to hear the music, because you are recording it ambiently through your mic. If you’re going to try to make professional quality videos, i would invest in a small mixer so you can blend, EQ, And mix between various sources (your vocal mic, the auxiliary tracks, the instruments, etc.)

dralionux, natobasso and Stumbo like this.
  3. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I think that you'll need to find a better production workflow to even out the volumes and clarify the audibility of source material to connect with viewers. I watched the top video on determining key. Not something that is particularly valuable for me but some may use it. Good luck with your series it's a lot of dedication to come up with that kind of curriculum.

natobasso likes this.
  4. Thx for your feedback, mate.

5. Thx for the feedback, mate! Yep, no mixer as I'm on the road and have the bare minimum of gear. Better lighting also on the cards. Did you get anything out of the content?

6. So far, I’ve only watched the one episode. In it, you do a good job proving that you can identify bass pitches, but I didn’t see any attempt to teach the listener that skill, which really, should be the hallmark of any instructional content.

7. You are absolutely correct, my best method at the moment that I've shown is picking a note and going another 12 until you find the pitch that is the same (or an octave of the same), but you're right more exploration and examples are needed here to make a student understand this concept, and it's core to what Hear Theory is.