i write a book

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by icks, Mar 2, 2004.

1. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Hey everybody,

those time i really dig reading a lot about vampires (Stephen King, Anne Rice, R. Weinberg) I watched a lot of movies about that and now I decided to write a book.

Ok I'm not a pro nor the smartest (not even smart), I don't want to publish it, I just write it for myself and buddies who dig that.

It's a vampire story, I make researchs in a other hands to keep pace with history facts. I don't know how to write a book, I don't have any technics about that.
    I forseen it to be not really a book, but a long story.

Is it normal if I'm not proud of my first 4 pages attempt ?

I was just wondering, who tried writing, who did writing, who failed writing, who did I inspire ?

PS: I speak french and no internet publication.
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    I used to have one of them crappy online diary things, i didnt use it much after the first week, i didnt feel like i could properly express myself, i found an old school exercise book a few weeks ago which ive started writing in, its basically going to end up as a documentation of my thoughts during this period of my life, only me, and occasionally my girlfriend reads it, which means that i can write whatever i want in it, because i am lucky enough to have found a girl who is on the same level as me(i dont mean that in a 'im better than everyone' way, i mean in a spiritual sense)

I guess that could be called a book, sort of an auto-biography, but definately not a diary.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Don't worry if you don't like your first four pages. You can always change them. ;)

Don't get hung up on making it perfect the first time. That's what second drafts are for. I do my writing pen and paper style (which makes me a romantic or an idiot, take your pick), and what I like about it is that I write what I write and I move on. I might cross out a word or two, but I just keep plowing ahead, near stream-of-conciousness style.

When it's all said and done, I go back and rewrite it, making any changes that I want to. This is the fine-tooth comb part, where I make all of the grammatical changes, hone my descriptions, etc. I also do all my main plot and story changing here. At this point I'm usually entering all of my writing into a computer or word processor. Make sure you can read your own handwriting! I might do this a chapter at a time, unless it's a really short story.

If you really like Stephen King, check out his book, "On Writing". The first half are his memoirs, and the second half is a very inspirational piece on the language and writing in general. I like it because it has a no-nonsense approach, and he doesn't sugar coat anything. He says outright, "I shouldn't have to tell you what to do to be inspired to write- if that doesn't happen by itself, you shouldn't be a writer." That's a paraphrase, but you get the idea. Great book.

Good luck!
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I wrote several poems when I was in grade school that were published in a district wide collection of students works.

In high school, I wrote a short story that was also published in a book. My DECA project was published in a guide on how to compose, and organize your project properly.

Last time I was back home, I helped a writer from an Altoona newspaper write a book about the Altoona Curve, a local minor league baseball team.

5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I wrote a lot in my pre-teens. I had a burning ambition to write a book, a novel, and I attempted to realise it several times. It's a good thing that I didn't spend more time attempting than I did though, for it's quite painful to go back and read them nowadays and see how truly awful everything I wrote really was.
  6. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    I do the same thing, Oysterman. I do a story for writing class and I'm really proud of it. Then I get it back and see all the flaws! :bawl:
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Eh...I write a little from time to time.

I'm about 50 pages into my latest forray, but am currently doing some major editing on said pages, so it's going slow. I've also another one that's about 150 pages (of an indeterminable amount), but that went on the back burner after I became seriously dissapointed with how the story was structured up to that point, so it's in limbo until I decide to take the nessicary steps to make it decent.

At the moment, I've got another 3-4 stories I rather want to get out of my system, all look like they're pretty large, at least novel legth, if not a small series (apiece), and about three I seriously should have stuck with, as they showed massive amounts of potential before I scrapped them, or cannibalized certain elements for another story.

I've got probably 30 short stories (6-25ish pages) on my hard drive, a dozen or so story ideas for future use/inspiration that stand anywhere from a couple pages to novella in size, and a couple of frame works for graphic novels and comics.

Then there's 50ish poems/lyrics I've done over the past couple years, and a few from my freshman and sophomore year of HS.

So, yeah, I write; pretty well too, if any of these awards, letters of reccomendation and certificates mean anything.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I am fairly keen on poetry myself, I've written a couple short stories but nothing that really held my interest. But I do like poetry.(and being redundant...did I mention I do poetry? :D
  9. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm not a Lit Professor, but I do like to think I am somewhat of an accomplished writer. ;)

Some tips I would give to you are

1. Just how there's a difference between being tasteful and wanking in music; the same holds true for writing. It's easy to use big words just so your work sounds intelligent and eloquent, but it can sound jarring and make it look like you studied the thesaurus. I'm not saying to write like an uneducated hillbilly, but don't use sesquipedalian words just for the sake of using them. I remember on one of those c-span book showcases, an author was reading one of his works and in it, he compared his liver to a New York cab driver; there wasn't anything fancy about his vocabulary, but it was just so brilliant how he wrote it.

2. Study dialogue in other people's work. I find dialogue to be the hardest part when writing fiction. You have to make everything flow, but always make sure the reader knows who's speaking.

3. Be totally objective with everything you write. The first part of being a great writer is being a great critic of yourself. You have to take a look at everything you write and ask, "What can make this better?" You have to ask yourself if all of the grammar in your write is correct, if your story is logicall correct, are there any plot holes, ect.?

Hope some of this helps.
  10. Personally, I think your idea sounds cool, and yes, it is normal for the author to not like the first couple pages. You would have to build the story up, and things have to get worse before they get better. But then again, I wouldn't really know. I mostly write poetry or songs, usually my first draft is my final draft.

And vampires, great subject.
  11. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I'm kind of stuck, not for inspiration but more the stucture things.

I want to explain too much at the same time.

Oysterman, I feel like you but not years after, days after.