Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I wrote my first jazz song today, but i need help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Well today I wrote my first jazz instrumental.
    Ive gotten a guitar solo and the main theme. The solo might change though. I have a sort of.. weird really non jazzy bassline too it. (my dad said it reminded him of some of the lines in "Cottage Cheese" by Crow except more slower)
    The songs entitled
    "Your average song on The National Weather Service TV channel"

The main chords im using in order are Gmajor7 Dmajor7 Fmajor7 into Cmajor7th. The chorus/breakdown somewhat goes into a kinda Calipso/reggea sounding couple of Chords that are

A seventh Augmented Fifth, B flat seventh Augmented Fifth and then into Aflat Seventh Augmented Fifth.

All this is basic strummings. Can you think of any chords, youd take out, or add?
    I was just wondering for all the jazz kids out there, does this sound like something solid?? I haven't really played alot of jazz guitar, and im trying to learn more and more material and listening to more jazz musicians.
    From what I understand, jazz music librarys are pretty much endless. :bassist:
    So far ive been listening to Charlie Christian, Danny Gatton, Miles Davis, and Duke Ellington.
    Any recomendations??
    I hope this post made some sence. Thanks for your help