Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IAJE threads merged

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by flyingmarcel, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Hello All,

Just wondering if anyone here is going to be checking out the conference in NYC starting on Wednesday. Wondering what people are going to be checking out, passing on, things that can't be missed etc. Some pre conference "can't miss" items, in my eyes, are:

-Panel regarding the Monk/Coltrane Tapes
    -Sonny Rollins Interview
    -The Art of the Trio Clinic (Focusing on the Bill Evans' Trio)
    -Clark Terry Interview
    -Panel discussion of the Mingus Legacy
    -Essential Bass Playing
    -Down Beat Blind Fold Test
    -Art and Science of Time Clinic

Not to mention all the great afternoon/evening concerts that will be offered!

Also interested in any input regarding non-conference things that will be happening in the city between now and Sunday (arriving tomorrow night)

Cheers,

fm

2. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Well, this is a little self-serving, but: I'm performing at this year's IAJE conference, on Saturday at 4pm at the main conference center. It's a bass/voice duo with a great jazz violinist as a special guest on a coupla tunes. It should be good! (I hope.) Anyone interested can check under "Rachel Caswell/Jeremy Allen Duo" in the conference guide.

While there, I'll definitely want to check out the NEA Jazz Master's awards/concert--I think it's on Friday night?

3. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Hey NY guys-

Anyone attend the IAJE this year? I was there Wed-Fri and I'm gonna try to go back tonight. It's been really great. I saw a lot of great music and met a lot of great musicians. Maybe I'll catch some of you there!

4. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    Hey Pete,
    Did you get a comp in or did you pay up to get in? I really wanted to go but couldn't swing it. Must be a great time. You workin' the Purchase booth with Doug??? ;)
    Dylan

5. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    I was too stupid to ask Todd for a comp so I paid! Then I found out that some friends from my old school got comps! And no, I wasn't working at the Purchase booth but I stopped by and laughed at them! Then Faddis made me buy him a protein smoothie....

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I take it you're talking about Jon?

7. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    The one and only....:smug:

8. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jon Faddis is hilarious... not to mention a hell of a trumpet player.

Say hi to Ratner for me, Pete.

9. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    T-

I jammed with your buddy Doug at the end of last semester - man, he swings his a** off! It was one of the best musical experiences I had all semester! I'm sure I see him next week when school starts back up and I'll say hello.

10. dylanjohnson

dylanjohnson Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Morro Bay, CA
    I would've needed to get in and get paid to work the Purchase booth!!!:D

11. Pcocobass

Pcocobass

Jun 16, 2005
    New York
    Tell me about it...

12. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I went...it was unbelievable.

13. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Johono, I caught two tunes of your duo. Nice playing. Your tone was very nice. Clear, woody. Not a trace of pickup nasalness. I couldn't tell what you were going through or if you were just mic'd. Either way, it sounded nice. Seems like you had a pretty good audience, size wise. I left because I wanted to catch some of Ronan Guilfoyle's clinic down the hall.

14. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I was speaking with Eddie Gomez last week, and he told me he was playing a final trio concert at the conference with Chick Corea and Jack DeJohnette. Anybody catch that? I wish I could have been there, and I hope it was recorded.

15. I caught the Corea/Gomez/Dejonnette and it was very enjoyable! I think my favourite part, however, was not the music, but the wonderful things each player had to say about each other, their past history playing with one and other, and the music they had made together. There were signs suggesting the show had been videotaped, so I'm sure those tapes will appear at some point.

Also enjoyed the panel discussion with Christian McBride, the discussion regarding the Monk/Coltrane tapes, The art of the Trio Concert, a great clinic on time, as well as the Mingus Orchestra, Big Band, and Dynasty group performance. The Sonny Rollins interview was awesome, listened to a great clinic by John Goldsby, and got to here Rufus Reid play with the Bob Mintzer big band. Not a bad way to spend a week!!

Also had a chance to play the Kolstein copy of the Lefaro bass for awhile (wow!) and to visit the Gage shop (finally got there on my third trip to NYC). Tried out the Czech-ease and might actually consider buying one.

Right now I'm at work, but I'll try to post more regarding the conference as I think of it.

Cheers,

fm

16. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    any good reports from the iaje? anyone try the metropolitan bows at gage's booth?

17. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Thanks for stopping by! I was just using an Underwood which went straight into the board (well, through a Sadowsky preamp and then into the board). Normally, this would be a recipe for disaster, but I only use the bass-side element (leaving the treble-side element just hanging) and, with the Velvet Animas, pretty much any pickup now sounds good on my bass. I would have been pretty happy going unamplified--it was a drummer-less duo and the stage was very resonant--but by the time the room filled up I was glad for the re-inforcement.

I heard Guilfoyle's thing was pretty cool--some of my friends skipped out on me and checked it out too. (I certainly can't blame them--an hour of bass/voice duos can be trying even for me when I'm in the middle of it!)

18. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Why didn't you use the treble side?

19. Jeremy Allen

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    It's a trick a lot of bassists eventually stumble upon to get a good sound out of an Underwood; taking the treble-side element out removes the electric-bassy, zingy smoothness of the Underwood and leaves you with the *thump* and body of the actual sound. The volume is not diminished, and the tone is very similar to what you get with a Realist (or a Revolution); very full and thumpy but still with enough definition to be useful. Experiment with it if you have an Underwood; many people I know only use theirs like this. (I happen to go back and forth between leaving the treble side in and taking it out; different rooms/environments/styles of music call for different sounds.)