1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

iAmp 350 vs iAmp 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lia_G, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, everyone,

Okay, I had an earlier thread about the iAmp 200 vs. the 500, and I've just read the thread about the 500 vs. 800. I'm currently demoing an iAmp 500 thanks to a great TB'er who loaned it to me. I'm really enjoying it on both DB and BG, after I've gotten used to it.

My question is this: someone on the board contacted me with an iAmp 350 for sale. I've searched and read through the threads I could find on the 350 in the archives, but I still have a few questions:

1) Is the sound going to be the same, just a bit less headroom than the 500, or was this model different?

2) The manuals for the 350 don't mention 2 ohm operation, but the guy says it will handle a 2 ohm load (and I've seen that printed elsewhere now that he told me that). I have two 4 ohm Wizzy cabs, and I do want to be able to do full shows running both of them. Will this be okay, or was the iAmp 350 really only suitable for 'every once in a while' 2 ohm loads?

3) I found another iAmp 350 that seems to have problems with the power section. How are these designed? Is the preamp on a separate board, such that the poweramp section could just be removed (by a competent amp technician), leaving a lighter-weight preamp that I could run into my power amp? That one is just a "pie in the sky" idea ... a lightweight iAmp preamp would be a cool thing to have, even if just as a backup.

Any advice or opinions on picking up a 350, versus springing for a 500, are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Liam

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    According the the manual for the iAMP 350 (which is still online at the EA site), it can only handle a minimum 4 ohm load. You could always contact EA to find out for sure. I have never tried an iAMP 350 so I cannot really comment on it.

I do have the iAMP 500 and 2 wizzys and have played 6-7 hour jams with level at 5 and main at 5 with no problems at all.

3. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, Sean,
    Yeah, I know the manual doesn't mention 2 ohms. But the current owner checked with EA, and they told him it would run at 2 ohms. I also saw an EA dealer mention this in an older thread here on TB. I'm just wondering if it's only okay for occasional 2 ohm operation, or whether it would handle the situation you mentioned fairly regularly ...

Thanks!

Liam

p.s. an iAmp 500 through two Wizzys is pretty stunning, huh? ;)

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    It really is. Every once in a while I get GAS for another amp or cabs. Then I play a gig, and the GAS goes away :D

5. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I have the 350 and asked Gary whether or not I had, in effect, made a "mistake" buying the 350 instead of the newer 500. (At the time of my purchase, neither the 800 nor 500 were on the market.) He said no, not at all. The design is somewhat different, but the quality is the same, as is pretty much the volume. From those comments I suspect the 500 is but an incremental improvement over the 350. And, of course, 500 sounds a lot bigger than 350. ;)