1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

iAmp 500/800 differences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TSanders, Mar 27, 2006.

1. I have been thinking about an iAmp.

I am curious about the differences between the 500 and 800 from people that have used both.

How is the volume on the 500? What is it comparible to?

I just loved the iAmp 800 I tried when I auditioned the Berg HT210S that I wound up ordering.

2. I should also say that currently Id prefer the 500, but want to know if there are any drawbacks the the 500 in comparison to the 800.

Also, does the iAmp have speakon and 1/4" speaker outputs, or just speakon?

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    here are the differences:

The 800 has a few added features:
    a) more power. the 800 into 4 ohms, 1,000 into 2 ohms while the 500 is 500 into both 4 and 2 ohms

b) the 800 has a larger footprint which allows for the addition of an LED input meter and both a parallel and series effects loop. The 500 has a clip light and a series effects loop

c) the weight - the 800 weighs 19 pounds while the 500 weighs in at 13

Although the 800 in not a lot louder it does have considerably more headroom.

Both iamps have only Speakon connectors (Phone plugs were not designed for high current applications, they were made for ... wel .... phones

hope this helps

Mike

4. Many thanks Mike.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    if you can afford the extra wattage, i'd just get the 800, which doesnt weigh a whole lot, and yet gives you the peace of mind in having that extra kick when you need it.

6. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct

+1 with all that and the added features which Mike mentioned.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    honestly,

while the extra bells and whistles are nice to have, bottom line, both sound terrific, have that KILLER eq section, and EA customer service. :p

definitely a tough choice.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed! :)