Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iamp 500 or 800?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am trying to decide which one of these to get. I will probably try to buy used. I play a Modulus VJ through 2 Epifani UL 1X10's, I play mediium to loud gigs and want to push the epis a little bit more than my current iamp 350.

What do you prefer about each of these amps? I know that they are similar, but there are some distinct difference in wesight, options and wattage. How much is needed for decent volume? Is the extra price worth the extra wattage and headroom? Thanks again, Marc

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd suggest that you pay a little more, and deal with the slightly heavier weight of the 800. I've had one for about a year and have been carrying it around in a light-weight 2 space X-roto rack. It's not that heavy! You'll have no regrets. You'll have a tremendous amount of headroom on the gig, and the built-in tuner is very convenient too.

On the other hand, the smaller footprint and light weight of the 500 can be very appealing, even if it lacks the tuner. It's a tough choice, and it's really a personal issue. What'll it be?

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i say, just get the 800. lots of power, lightweight, yet good enough to slam with the big boys.

but the 500's fine, too. even lighter, as versatile, and $200-300 cheaper. so, if you dont think you'd ever need the extra power, or that you'd ever need 800 slammin' watts, save your dough and get the 500. you wont be sorry with my old ... errr... *your* pair of Epi 1x10's. ;)

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Well I got a used iamp 800 in today and I have to say that I am not realy impressed. It sounds very similar to my iamp 350 (duh!) and it seems to have close to the same power and headroom, at least when played through my new Epifani UL 110's. Maybe the cabs can only allow so much, but at times I seemed to prefer the sound/power of my 350 to the 800.

I actualy have a few more qualms with the 800, but has anybody got an explanation for this? Is it my cabs? Joker? Thanks, Marc

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ymarc,

I'm very surprised at your experience, and unfortunately I don't have an explanation for your observations. I think that perhaps you should have the 800 checked out. Maybe Gary at EA can help you to trouble shoot it.

I can share this info with you... a friend of mine who is a very tech-savvy player told me that the 800 has a significantly higher output over the 350. He tried out a 350 and decided that it did not have sufficent power output for his needs. He then bought the 600 when it came out and had been happy with it for at least a year or so. When I bought my 800 he decided to follow my lead. He bought an 800 and sold his 600 after making a comparison between the two. Upon receiving the 800, he said there was a noticable difference in volume between the 600 and the 800 - although it wasn't a big difference.

I think that each model has a target market for which it was meant; there is a place for a 350 as well as an 800. Anyway, the foregoing info leads me to think that maybe your 800 has a problem if its putting out the same amount of volume with "all other factors constant". I hope this helps a bit.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hmm...

no idea. maybe send it into EA and have them check it out.

WARNING if you slam neo speakers with too much wattage too quickly, you could damage them to the point of each speaker losing efficiency. i forget the tech, but i've been warned several times.

i.e. i was very careful at how much wattage i sent into the Epi 1x10's, which i babied. didnt use anything more than my 300 watt Clarus.

7. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Just curious, where are you guys even seeing EA heads used? They seem to only pop up on ebay every few months and the big places (bassnw and the like) have told me they almost never get them. It's getting aggrivating trying to find one :meh: