Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

iamp 500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 59jazz, Dec 18, 2005.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I'm considering an Iamp 500 (800 if I can find the xtra $'s), would the 500 be able to drive an Acme B-2 cab? :eyebrow:

Thanks, Steve

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'd hold out for the 800... the extra juice into an Acme just gives you a tighter, faster, more responsive feel, and yes, your Low B is the Low B of kings.

3. 59jazz

J.......maybe you're right about that! What's the goin' price for a clean used 800?

Thanks, Steve

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    iAmp 500 into a B-2 is my *exact* small rig. Of course a 500 can drive a B-2; the idea that some cabs won't work right unless you feed them tons of power is kind of a myth. That combination sounds great, and I love it. If you can swing the 800, the extra headroom will never hurt you (I might have gone this way if I'd had the $$). But if you can't, the 500 is nothing to sneeze at and should do you fine, if you use it in the right situations and don't expect unrealistic truckloads of volume.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would think that an iAMP 500 would drive a single 4 ohm Low B-2II fairly well, but if you want to run two, then I'd go for the 800, for sure.

Tom.

6. 59jazz

Thanks guys! Any ideas on what the 500 & 800 go for used, in good shape?

Thanks, Steve

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm not sure about the 500's, but I've seen 800's in good shape go for just under $900, which I think is an excellent deal, for what you get.

Tom.

8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto

Club Bass has a used iAMP 800 available for $799 US. I've seen the unit and it looks brand new. Try www.clubbass.ca and look in the Specials section.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Personally I'd hold out for an 800. It's not that much of an increase in cost or weight, when you consider how much power you're getting.

The iAmp800 is a great amp.

10. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I agree with the other posts as well. Both are amps that I'm sure would serve you well. It's a couple of $100 more for the iAMP800. I like the input LED on 800 as far as setting the input level. Minor detail but I like having it on the 800.

11. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    +1 . For a couple of $100 more, might as well go for the flagship. Weight difference is also hardly noticeable. That's the other beauty of these amps.

12. Hello all,

I use the EA (new version) and Mini12+ for rehearsals and small gigs; with 1210 for the medium gigs and with both for the larger and outdoor gigs.

It does it all!

Later, Kirk